bad cam seal and other issues

tim4891

XS400 Member
Reaction score
H i guys im new to the forum and just purchased a 1977 xs 400 that had been sitting around for a few years since it last ran. I got the bike running with little effort but noticed a substantial amount of oil leaking from behind the points cover. My first mistake was high temp rtv gasket sealer that just made the cover hold the oil and flood the points so the bike wouldnt run. so i removed the cover and dried the points off and made it home. I have ordered a new cam seal to remedy the oil leak. Also when the bike sits over night it does not want start when i kick it seems almost like the kickstart isnt functioning but when i pull the plugs the pistons are moving any thoughts b4 i sink a whole bunch of money in to this bike. After draining the oil and putting new oil in yesterday the bike starts with in 2 kicks or with in a few seconds of using the starter i only have the problem with the bike not starting after it sits overnight could the bad cam seal after pouring oil out all night be putting the bike into a wierd vaporlock state any help would great i am very mechaincly inclined with cars and trucks but motorcycles are a new ball game for me and i am stumped

Last edited:
The new seal should take care of that leak. It's unlikely that it is related to the poor starting if the points are clean. I'm thinking either bad battery or dirty carbs at this point.

got the starting issue figured out it was dirty points they were still caked in oil!!! thanks for the tips im going through the carbs again tonight to take care of a rough running issue

Back