Battery Box

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I hate to ask stupid ques, however, I removed the retaining bolts from the batter box, but cannot get the box out. What else is holding it in? Tx alot have a good day.

Hi everybody. I hate to ask stupid ques, however, I removed the retaining bolts from the batter box, but cannot get the box out. What else is holding it in? Tx alot have a good day.

What year is your bike? we need a little more information to tell you whats going on.

Oh sorry, that was stupid. I have the 1980 special. Tx again.

I just took my battery box out the other day there are two pegs sticking out of the frame that go into rubber grommets on the front of the batter box. Also there is a bunch of wiring attached to some sort of electrical box (someone else should be able to name it) that is mounted on the bottom.

The cdi, voltage regulator plus the rectifier all are connected to the battery box.

Yeah, the first thing is to pull it towards the rear of the bike and up so the box is free of those rubber poles holding it in the front. Then you have to turn it a bit to get the regulator/rectifier and the ignitor box loose (they're on the bottom of the box). Finally, there are some relays attached to the front. Once those are free, you should be able to wiggle it out of there.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am the idiot who reversed the polarity when jump starting my bike. The starter turn over but the instrument tree and signal front and back don't work. If the CDI or voltage regulator were out would that cause the lights not to work. The rectifier and ignition switch check out fine. How would I test the other two. Tx again, have a good day!

I would check all the fuses first. Then make sure that every thing has a good ground as well as the wire harness ground wire. I had a bad connection with mine when I got it witch would cause the idiot box lights not to work. That wire should also be connected to the battery ground.

Last edited:
From what I can tell from the wiring diagram, the only places all of those are tied together are the fuse box/ignition switch and grounds. Verify your fuses are good and the wiring going in and out are good. Make sure your grounds are solid. Given that you reversed the polarity, you could have melted a ground wire.
Break out the multimeter and start checking. Turn the ignition on and start with the tail light. Focus on the blue wire and the black wire. Then follow the blue wire as it runs up front to the ignition switch. Are you getting power there? Prob won't be, so then follow the wires out of the switch (ie check the red and brown wires). It's just a matter of following it until you find voltage.

I would check all the fuses first. Then make sure that every thing has a good ground as well as the wire harness ground wire. I had a bad connection with mine when I got it witch would cause the idiot box lights not to work. That wire should also be connected to the battery ground.

Hi thanks alot for your feedback. I can't see where the ground wire comes off of the wire harness. Can you tell me wher its supposed to be? Tx again

The pic is from a 1980sg it should come out where my finger in pointing:)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all of your help. It turns out that someone who owned it in the past bypassed the fusebox with a ground wire and used an iline fuse. Fuse was broken. Put a new one in, and everything works. By the way, has anyone had trouble with the starter on their bike? Tx a ain!

having the same problem right now. My bike wasnt running and i went digging near the fuse box only to figure out, there was no fuse box lol. Bypassed with an inline, and it was melted...soldered a new inline and fuse, powered right up. But ive been told that its a temp. fix and you should get a replacement box. then again, im a noob, so what do i know:shrug: lol

Back