Battery not holding charge, system voltage good

RavenReign

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been working on my xs400s for a few months now and i have it on the raod running pretty good :bike:

but my battery will slowly die on me, I never use the electric start because it doesn't work that great, I always kick.

anyways I have put my multi meter across the battery and rev the motor I get 14.3 at 2100 RPM and 14.4 at 3000 RPM after that is doesn't seem to cut out or drop.

the problem over a a day or 2 of riding, (couple hours a day) the battery will drop to 11 volts and nothing will work, but I usualy catch it and charge the battery with a smart charger and its brings it up to 12.4.....

:wtf:

like really haha, any ideas? I've read around and as far as i know I don't have any vampire power when my key is off

Check your electrolyte % level and be sure your plates stay covered with fluid. If the battery has sat for a long time with dry plates, even just at the top end, they could be degraded.

replace your battery. They get old and just die. Nothing to do about it, really. Even with a new battery it could happen after a few months (thats what I had, sent it back and got my money back).

My suggestion is to buy it at a shop, so they'll fill it for you. Usually the shipping makes an online order just as expensive.

With the engine and key off unhook a battery cable and put you multimeter between the cable and the battery. If you have any current then you have something drawing down the battery when it is sitting.

The fun part is then finding the source of the current draw. :banghead:

I am looking into lithium ion batteries. They only weigh a couple pounds and last a LLLOOONNNGGG time. You have to have a good charging system though, voltage regulator, rectifier, etc.. Too much charge can ruin one. Plus side is they only weigh a couple of pounds and you can hang them sideways or even upside down, as they have no fluid.

Take your battery out, fully charge it, take it to a place that sells batteries and have it load tested. If it fails the test replace it.
If the battery is more than 4 or 5 years old it is probably over due to be replaced. With proper maintainance 5 years is about max for usefull life. With average to less maintainance maybe two years.
Leo

Back