Bike stopped running... float valves? help!

unitedhow

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
In November, I was riding to work and everything had been going well for a few days. About 2 miles from my house it died and I ended up getting it towed home. It fell over in the trailer (of course). The clutch lever, perch, and cable broke but everything else was fine and the tow company reimbursed me, but I have not had any time to work on it. So yesterday I went to down to work on it to find that the crankcase has filled with gasoline!!
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
About two weeks before it stopped running I replaced the float valve assemblies and reset the float height to 26mm (Brass). I know that my petcock weeps a bit but I currently have a second fuel cutoff valve installed until I can get a non vacuum petcock (I'm pretty sick of the vacuum one). There is no gas in the line after the shutoff valve, but there is before it so only the gas that was in the float bowl and line up to the shutoff flooded into the crankcase.

My question is if this is still a float height/valve assembly issue or could this be something else? Does this kind of thing happen regularly to bikes that sit for a couple months? Is there a better way to know that the float assembly is working other than setting it to spec and reinstalling it hoping for the best? This is going to be my fifth oil change due to gas in the crankcase in probably less than 100 miles of riding... Im beginning to think this bike is cursed. :banghead:

Back