Bike was running.

Bssoap74

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the bike was running decent that last few rides with the rejet, pods, and mac exhaust. But today it kept sputtering and dieing. If i got it back running it would not accelerat Track e very well, sounded like snap, crackle, pop coming out my muffler. Replaced pluggs thinking it was misfiring and that was not it. Left plug wire felt very hot compared to right. Any idea's on what could be wrong? I have 142 and 42.5 jets carbs turned 3 1/2 out. Any help would be appriciated.

Do you have a multimeter to check the charge and charging of you battery? Have you looked at the points, timing etc.? When you replaced the plugs what was the coloring?

Ok, So I took off the points cover and found that the Left Points are touching and the right points have a gap. Could this be whats causing my problem? Will the points thats touching need to be replaced or can I just gap them the same?

Points open and close as the crankshaft turns. Go the section on how to set ignition timing in the online manual.
Also check out this video by one of the forum members, mcrowell75, its well done.

It is fine that oil cam out the access cover and it will pour out if you are on the side stand. On the center stand, some will drip out but if too much comes out, you had too much in there...but the rotor runs in oil.

Since you don't have a center stand you might be able lean the bike against a wall, or some other firm surface, making sure it can't move, but don't put it in gear. Use your judgement You do need to replace the oil to the proper level, depending on how much came out.

My comment about too much oil only applied to being on a center stand. If it were me, I would find a way to prop it upright to do this. Otherwise, you might as well drain the oil and do an oil change.

Ok, So I regapped the points since the right was off and not gapped properlly. Started the bike up with the points cover of and say some sparking. I thought I read somewhere that there should not be visable sparking. Also after I took it for a ride and It seemed to start sputtering once warm, I immedetlly turned my petcock from on to prime and it seems to be running better. I could only run it a little longer since it started raining. Could the Vaccuum Petcock be the problem? If the vaccuum could not pull enough gas, would it almost stop pulling and then if I kept on it go back to normal? Still need to do some more test rides to see if that could be the problem. I also have a rebel tank and shocks coming in tomm. and I will test fitment of the tank and let you guys know how it go's.

should not be sparking, you need to renew the condensor. the sparking will erode the points and you will break down.

you might have a vacum leak somewhere, so the diaphram doesn't pull away from the closed position much.

try a rebuild kit, mines still going after 6 years use!

I think he was talking about the petcock. Rebuild kits are about $25-30. But if you plan to use the Rebel tank, rebuilding the petcock would be a moot point.

Back