blinker/flasher issue

khales

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I installed some small led blinkers on the ol girl and for some reason they aren't flashing. Does anyone know if getting an updated flasher will cure this problem or are the led designed to run a different way?

On a side note i've finally been able to get the frame cut and a new loop put on so I can build that custom seat that i've been wanting. Pics will be up as soon as I get it on.

I believe I read somewhere that the LED's complete a circuit, so preventing the jthe person that wrote the comment stated used a diode to ensure that the circuit went one way. I have been meaning to look that up, and see if where to put the diode. Hope that helps somewhat. there is a few other questions I was going to look up when I find that article, like how big a diode, and hope there some good photos. good luck

The original flasher needs the higher draw of the original signal bulbs to activate the flasher. LED bulbs have very little draw and generally will not activate the original flasher. There are 2 solutions to this problem:
1) load resistors wired in parallel to the led lights
2) replace the original flasher with a modern "no-draw" flasher compatible with LED lights

When I installed LED turn signals and the new "no-draw" flasher on our 81 XS400, all 4 signals blinked every time you turned on either turn signal. After tracing through the wiring diagram for a while I discovered that the original turn signal wiring depended on a cross feed thru the instrument signal bulb for grounding the blinking signals. I handled that by locating the 2 wires going to the instrument signal bulb in the headlight cluster along with the 2 wires (1 from left side and 1 from right side) from the turn signals. By attaching a rectifier diode to each of the wires from the turn signals you prevent feedback into the opposite side turn signals. Note that diodes must be installed in the correct orientation to allow current to flow FROM the turn signals but prevent current flowing BACK to the turn signals. Then connect the remaining end of the diodes together and connect that connection to one of the wires connected to the instrument bulb (doesn't matter which wire). Connect the other wire going to the instrument bulb directly to ground. It worked for me.

I'm using a Suzuki VX800 tail light that I modified to acccept 3 1157 LED bulbs I bought on ebay for about $1.50 each. If you are using the standard XS400 tail light you can just plug in two 1157 LEDs with no modifications.

Back