blue color of my mufflers

rlund25

XS400 Member
Reaction score
As some may know my bike still runs like crap stuck at 7K until hot then runs like a champ. My question is why is this exhause so blue on the outside? Is it partially plugged? I removed to verify it is flowing but Idk how much it should be.

Attachments

• 14281757968071576436639.jpg
    14281757968071576436639.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 1428175841180-1171416903.jpg
    1428175841180-1171416903.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 214
Your exhaust is blue because it is getting very hot. Most likely cause is dirty carbs, followed by vacuum leaks between carbs and engine. Either way, fix it now or risk destroying your engine.

I have messed with this bike long enough and can't figure it out. Perfect excuse to go buy my yamaha star bolt.

Yes, it sounds like a new bike is more for you, some people don't have what it takes for an old bike.
Leo

Yes, it sounds like a new bike is more for you, some people don't have what it takes for an old bike.
Leo

Leo, unfortunately, you're right, some people don't have the patience or ambition for fixing bikes (I certainly mean no disrespect to the individual in question). Seriously though, is there a simpler old bike to work on? I doubt it...

Assuming the problem is only carbs (very very likey) ... maybe timing too? the bike could be fixed by someone with no experience, minimal tools, and consultation on this forum and from youtube in less than 2hrs, 3 tops. Almost certainly without having to buy any parts. Of course cleaning the blue off would help with verification of a job well done by seeing if the pipes blue up again (I think there are products for cleaning blue off - I never had to deal with it so I'm not sure). Nonetheless, I hope this fella doesn't give up - XS400 is a great bike and there's a wealth of support here and elsewhere online for taking care of them.

Cheers ... and don't give up, learning how to fix your own ride (bike, car, airplane, submarine, whatever) is an invaluable skill to develop, if something goes haywire down the road, you'll be equipped to handle it instead of paying a shop $100/hr to do it for you.

- J

I fixed the issue awhile back I had another thread on here 2 pages long. It turned out to be my pickup coils were bad. I replaced them then used scotch bright to clean off the pipes and the blue hasn't come back. I ride it to work everyday no issues.

rlund25 step back take a deep breath,then go back to it.Eventualy you`ll be able to solve your problem.If your bike hangs up at 7k rpm at start up you most likely have a vacuum leak and your carbs are running lean.This would cause your pipes to get hot and turn your pipes blue.Good luck

I fixed the issue awhile back I had another thread on here 2 pages long. It turned out to be my pickup coils were bad. I replaced them then used scotch bright to clean off the pipes and the blue hasn't come back. I ride it to work everyday no issues.

Awesome! Glad to hear you didn't ditch it. Nice work figuring it out - I wouldn't have guessed pick-up coils.

Cheers,

- J

Turns out he has the right stuff. He stuck withit and found the problem. Good for you sir.
Leo

Back