Boring/honing toss-up

Liamthedevastator

It's dingaling'n time
Reaction score
Hi folks, Liam here with another scintillating question:

I read online that to hone a cylinder can be a terrible thing (read here). After I purchased new +0.25 pistons I got to thinking... how do I approach this without causing damage to my bike?

In the Haynes it mentions that re-honing may be necessary which leads me to believe that it is okay to hone the cylinder. After reading this article, however, it makes sense to me that the sharp 'peaks' of the hone will wear down and i will be left with a compression issue if i'm not carful.

The question is then, should I ask my future machinist to bore out the cyclinder to JUST under the 0.25 difference, and account for the tiny change in wear that the grinding down of the 'mountains' of the hone will cause?

Aside from the inhuman number of circlips that I need to aquire, this is one of the only things keeping me from getting this baby's engine back together. Oh yeah, that and a sexy new work bench :bike:

Thanks for the help!

you obviuosly didn't read all that article because it says "Honing Is Necessary For Rebores"

don't ask your machinist to bore out to xx he should know the clearance for piston to bore and part of the rebore service is a 45' crosshatch hone.

If he doesn't know that, I would be tempted to go elsewhere

Back