Broken Float Bowl Tower

mpark620

mpark620
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just my luck this. So the previous owner of my bike must've dropped the carbs while he was cleaning it :wtf:. Anyway I went and tried taking out the pin holding the float bowl between the two towers and one side just cracked off. At this point I could potentially go ahead and JB weld it, however, it sounds like the fuel will eventually break the weld down. Also I don't want to risk driving along one day and having the right side of my carbs flood.

So the question is, do you guys know if the 1981 Mikuni BS34 carbs are the same as the 1982 Mikuni BS34 carbs? I found one online that I could purchase, but just wanted to make sure they all matched before I purchased. I also have a 1981 xs400 S. Anything would help, and thanks again!

Posted a picture of it below, quite the pickle~!

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 118
Thanks Luckyeight!

At this point I found one online that I'm just thinking of ordering since it would guarantee a hold. And Greasey Fingers, I've read somewhere that the jb weld would hold it for about a week till the fuel broke it down. But check out the link that Luckyeight posted, that would really help!

I would expect jb weld to hold quite a bit longer than a week if you apply it properly. Otherwise you should be able to find some type of epoxy or glue that isn't affected by fuel. Maybe try tank liner? It sticks to aluminium and is 100% fuel resistant. It's not the hardest material in the world after it sets, but should be more than sufficient for keeping up this carb part.

Hey Guys,

Just my luck this. So the previous owner of my bike must've dropped the carbs while he was cleaning it :wtf:. Anyway I went and tried taking out the pin holding the float bowl between the two towers and one side just cracked off. At this point I could potentially go ahead and JB weld it, however, it sounds like the fuel will eventually break the weld down. Also I don't want to risk driving along one day and having the right side of my carbs flood.

So the question is, do you guys know if the 1981 Mikuni BS34 carbs are the same as the 1982 Mikuni BS34 carbs? I found one online that I could purchase, but just wanted to make sure they all matched before I purchased. I also have a 1981 xs400 S. Anything would help, and thanks again!

Posted a picture of it below, quite the pickle~!

As long as they are for a sohc bike they will work.

I have been using jb weld on the fuel spigot from carb for 2 years.So far So good.I don't run ethanol gas either though.I spent an an xtra buck per gallon and buy efree premium from the local marinas:D

I had the same problem Some ham handed goon broke the tower off. I had it rewelded but the monkey who did it pretty much ruined the carb body. Find someone who does good work like at your local airport. You could also try some Cyl head repair shops. They are usually more qualified than a boiler repair shop.

Back