buzzing the neighborhood-test drive

xs400neophite

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So this is what my bike sounds like. Give her a close listen and let me know what you think. She is much smoother with the chain in spec. There is still a little bit of chatter/chop but that may be
normal-ish?
I got the decals Travis, thank you!!

sounds ok to me, the buzzing further up the rev range would be the secondary vibrations. have you had it up to 8k revs and it was really smooth?

those front shocks seem really spongy, but if that's the way you like them!

POV = point of view. sounds like you're not a gamer :laugh:

POV - ok I should of got that duh! No not much of a gamer.
Nothing gets buy you Drewp, the forks are on the to do list.All original in there and probably not much oil.
I have had her to 8k before and you are right about the power band @ 7200K (previous posts)bcs she is smoother at those higher rpms. I get her to about 7200 in the video, there on the main drag.
@ JAR- hehehe -yes she is!

@ Lou....They call that a 'CA Roll'. I hope none of you are CA police officers!!
Thanks for the assurance Hough'.
I have a video with the chain out of spec but its 27 min. long and loading editing submitting.....ugh!! but you can really see the vibration and hear the gas tank rattling metal to metal because it cut through the rubber grommet. When I have some time I will put that together for comparison.

@ Lou....They call that a 'CA Roll'. I hope none of you are CA police officers!!
You guys do the "CANADIAN ROLL" down in SoCal? :wink2: ... It's pretty universal I think.
If the powers REALLY cared about CO2 emissions et al, they would do everything to encourage constant motion. I posted about driving in Scotland (I think on the 'Roundabout thread) where they use yield signs at every intersection - unless there is a stone wall, building or a hedge blocking one's view. You could often drive all the way across town and never stop once - one CA roll after another. :)

Ok.. so edited and uploaded a bit of video from my ride before the chain adjustment. The vibration is more and the noises are more.
The hollow metal rattle is the gas tank vibrating against the frame. The rubber grommet in the rear of the tank is completely cut through, allowing tank-to-frame collision. I re-installed the old one that has one good side and is not cut through (just for now until I get another grommet or fab something up)
Now,with the chain adjusted, it seems to have helped the problem?
Be gentle on me as far as my riding skills or lack there of...hahaha
I don't go hard on the Ortega because many riders way better than me never survived that ride!!

Sorry....Put Music to it! Cant hear nothing but a youtube cover of great 1970 grudge rock song.

Are using the Hero GoPro, if so how do you have yours mounted? I had mine hooked to the chest harness the other day and when I got home realized it wasn't recording. Def love the Cali roll, thats the way they taught us to do it in the MSF course believe it or not. Nice vid.

This makes me want a camera bad so you can all see what a hooligan I am on my xs400 :D

@ bc...Hey hooligan...did you listen and watch both videos? The 'double horshoe' video shows the vibration I was talking about( chain out of spec). hard choppy vibration and the rattle that is the tank vibrating against the frame. Check it out and compare (if you want) both videos.
@ halfbreed..I got the 'hero2' that comes with a big suction cup. I attached it to the left side of my tank. The only thing about gopro is NO MONITOR . I also have to dble check if its 'on' and recording or not. Also if it is in 'video' mode. I once had it in 'time lapse' and recorded and hour of 1 sec incrimate time lapse photos...so annoying!!
Also I need to use Windows 7 bcs its the only thing that will read the gopro video. Still getting use to it.

Nice I think I'll invest in the suction cup then, I have the helmet mount but I'm not a fan plus the camera is not that light. I have the GoPro Hero(1) but the sales lady said the differences were minor. I do really want the back mounting LCD screen, but with that attached you cant use the protective cases. What a design flaw:wtf:. Still awesome :thumbsup:video.

Back