Carb Popping and Pilot jet getting clogged while riding Please Help!

jbrum1545

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I've looked thru the forum on this issue and haven't found what's happening to mine, sorry if i've missed an answer to this already. I literally am out of ideas. I have a Mikuni bs34II(pretty sure). This weekend I took it apart boiled it in lemon juice, then literally replaced everything in it. New jets, new gaskets, Slide needle. The only thing I didn't replace were the slide rubber diaphragms. One looks stretched a bit but going into groove just fine. The other no problems. Monday ran like a champ, no issues, more power/response everything was great, Tuesday morning ran fine to work, riding home from work Tuesday evening tho, it started to pop and then it started running on the right cylinder only. Cleaned the carb again, purged the tank of gas and put ethanol free gas in it, this morning it started fine ran fine and a little bit down the road it started doing the same thing. I've done the starting fluid trick to see if I have an air leak none that I can see/hear. Floats are adjusted correctly. Jets are brand new. I'm running 142.5 main, 155 main air, 42.5 pilot. Also I have replaced the inline fuel filter and hoses. Any thoughts? Could the carb slide being causing this?( I know about jbm industries so replacing isn't an issue, just don't have the cash right now) I love my bike, why would she do this to me?!?! hahhha thanks in advance for any help!

I missed it- did it clog again after replacing the inline filter? Also, what kind is it? Screen filters, IMHO let too much stuff through and a paper filter is necessary.

If you can push the carb slide up smoothly and it comes down slowly and smoothly about the same in both carbs, I doubt it's that.

Sounds to me like dirty passages that get re-clogged after cleaning.

Last edited:
Yeah it clogs within 10 minutes of driving now. I'm unsure which inline filter it is, I know its for cars tho might be the issue. Yeah I checked if the carb slides are moving correctly up and down, they are. Literally had this thing dialed in and this keeps happening. Do you have a recommendation on filters? I'll try anything at this point hahah

I have been using the plastic filter from Arnold that is usually used on lawn equipment. It is rated for 5-80hp, so that covers us. It doesn't hurt that you can see into it.

062862.jpg

excellent I got one similar to it. a little bigger. 43 microns filter rate. I think the one on it only had 20microns so I'm hoping that's better haha. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks again

Back