Casing Discolouration

covertune

XS400 Member
Reaction score
When I got my bike a couple weeks ago, the engine was a nice silver colour, as it's supposed to be. Last week I turned it on to let it idle for a bit to run some fuel system cleaner through it.. went out about 20min later and found this awful brassy discolouration. Any ideas what it is, or how to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_8616-1.JPG
    IMG_8616-1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8617-1.JPG
    IMG_8617-1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 88
some polishes turn yellow with heat, also the PO could have used a cheap clearcoat on them, they also turn yellow.

First I'd just try some metal polish and see if it comes back to the color you want.

If it's clearcoat that is yellowed well that is going to be a bit of work. I'd try a chemical peeler first like aircraft stripper which you can get at any autobody supply store. Then a metal polish once it's removed. Another option is sanding or blasting it off but both of those will require re-polishing it starting with a much rougher grit than just being able to peel it with a chemical.

First step is to figure out if it's been clear coated or not.

Yep, most likely clearcoat, after stripping the old stuff off which you can do in situ if you mask the frame and everything else with aluminum foil. The raw aluminum will need a polish like RS mentioned above. If you don't want to go with paint or more clear as a protection for the metal, you can treat it periodically with aluminum preservative products from most any auto parts stores.

That said, it looks kinda 80's proper as is.

:pimp:

Back