checking/setting valve clearance

xschris gas combustion engine 101
Yeah ok Im an auto mechanic I understand how car engines work and learning how they differ between cycle engines,which there is alot of difference.Since its only 2 cylinders it should be easier for me to grasp the concept on how they operate.Well yesterday I had a very bad day and was recovering from a small siezure I had the night before.I wasnt comprehending anything I should have just left my bike alone but its 2cnd nature for me to get up and want to do something on it.So the smart ass comment isnt/wasnt neccasary.:wtf:

If you are having health issues I would worry about resolving them first than a bike, I had a dear friend get killed when he wrapped his car around a tree after having a seizure. If your focus is not very sharp and have trouble with remembering you would not want to be on a bike doing 65mph when it happens. We want you to be safe. Also keep in mind you don't need to start or post same question in different theads, it just makes things more confusing for others.

Last edited:
I apprcecate your concern thanks:wink2: .I didnt mean to bring up multiple threads when you do a search it brings up a related thread.Next thing you know you have some starting the same kinda thread that hasnt searched then we have 2 threads.It gets confusing I know even to me.

Definately looks like great manual to have.It would help save room on the forum and prevent alot of questions that dont need to be ask here anymore.If its gets uploaded I`ll definately use it.:thumbsup:

Damit this search can be worthless at times now I understand why people say its not that greatIt works about as good as my lack of typos.
What are the specs for adjusting the intake and exhaust valves Anyone?

Last edited:
Screw it iset it 6 and 10 seems alot better than what it was.You guys have been so helpful to me on this thread:wtf: I realy appreciate it.Oh well guess theres no better way to learn something than hands on.

Last edited:
easy does it scorpio, I think it's not completely clear what your question is. Can you specify what you want to know exactly? The only thing I would say is that the specs for adjusting the intake and exhaust valves would be in the manual.. That little table in there for adjusting the shims.

Well I found out what I want too know already,It took some work to find the info but I found it.My valve adjustment is probaly off a tad but its close. I had them tightened down way to tight at 1st.Anyways Im done with this thread It didnt go well for some reason but thats that.

Just got back from taking the bike for spin.everything seems to be ok.Carbs arent in perfect tune but they are close.waiting on my pods so I can do a final tune and sync.Not too bad on take off power but after 40mph she realy want to pull away and go.Got it up to about 60mph didnt want to go any faster cause my exhaust brackets arent welded on yet and the pipes are vibrating.I`ll be get this done in a day or two.

Well the bike is making that familair ticking sound again so Im prepared to do another adjustment either this evening or tomorrow.I cant find a 4 mm feeler guage closest I have 6mm

scorps, it won't be quiet, they are old tech and do rattle a little especially the valves.

I'd be tempted to leave it

Well I would like to recheck it just to be on the safe side.Just cant believe this 1.5 months ago or so my bike was running so good and Im struggling to get everything in tune again.:banghead:

8-12 cold intakes and 16-20 on exhaust.The manual should be on this thread.I did mine .010 intakes and .018 exhaust works good on my bike but may vary.

does anyone know if using smaller that stock signal lights will activate the stock thermal signal flasher? Mine seems funky with standard rear signals and small bullet size ones on the front.

Back