clarification on carb things(idle,sync)

tbakic

1st cafe project underway
Reaction score
now i got my bike finally running i need to synch the carbs and get the idle down pat. Correct me if i am wrong but this is the throttle stop screw, below and inbetween the carbs
20120724_122603.jpg

is there another screw to set the idle speed? or is this the screw people are talking about, i thought you werent supposed to use the throttle stop to set idle, i set it so my bike would idle at 1,200rpm when warm but when i drove it and let off the gas the bike wanted and did keep going, like the throttle was still on :wtf: any lower on the screw and the bike wouldnt idle

for synching the carbs how are you guys doing this with the tank off/in the way? with my tank on i cant get to the synch screw (again correct me if im wrong but this is it right?, middle of carbs)
20120724_122624.jpg

should i take my tank off and run longer fuel/vaccum lines? also clarification of the hooking up of vacc guage to the two vaccuum ports on the carb holders, i plan on using one vac guage hooked up to one vac port, measuring it while at idle, then putting it on the other side and measuring it and leaving it on that second one, get the difference btw the two and turn the screw one way and see if the numbers get closer together. The whole time im synching to i have the vaccum line from my tank NOT plugged in, should i cap off the one, and have the guage on the other and just switch the plug/guage side?:shrug:

#1- Yes, you use the throttle stop to set the idle speed.

#2- Yes, that is the sync screw- I always do it with the tank off and either a really long fuel line going to the tank sitting elsewhere of to a small bottle I wire to the handlebars.

#3- I suppose you can sync your carbs the way you describe, but I think it would take a long time. If you do it that way, plug whatever side you don't have the gauge on. For the tank, turn the petcock to prime.

Your throttle stop is really, really far in. What are your idle mixture screws set at? These are on each carb between the lid and the head. They are covered up on '80 and later models, but removal of a plug can get you access. If they are set too lean, the idle will climb or hang once warm. On a clean carb, I adjust mine to 3 turns out and then adjust from there depending on how it runs. You may find that you can close the throttle stop more if you are getting enough fuel through the idle circuit as you are probably getting some fuel through the main jet with the throttle plate open that much.

my idls mixture screws(can b seen in 2nd pic) are at 3 turns out, i have pod filters and straight though mufflers, i went 1 size up on pilot jet and 2 bigger on main(i believe) the pilot is 1 up for sure. when u say really really far in for throttle stop, do u mean like it will stop my throttle alot sooner? i set my throttle stop on the fully warmed up engine to 1,200 rpm idle

It's holding your throttle butterfly open further at idle that I would like to see. I suspect it's still lean.

should i take the pods off and see how far open they are? take a pic? :)
maybe turning my idle mixtures screws out to 3.5 turns out?

p.s i dont have a filter on my crank case breather...just tube right now, maybe putting filter on their will help with /vacc/pressure?? idk

Back