CLEAN SPOKES?!?!

cody1awesome

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent about 6 hours and 5 sheets of sandpaper getting my front spokes around 90% clean. There has to be an easier way, right? I still have to get the small sections that the sandpaper didn't hit. I'm thinking of using a dremel, but now that they are mostly clean, how would I go about protecting the finish? I still have to finish them, then wash them, then polish them. I thought about painting them but I really do love the look of shiny spokes. I'm looking for any advice before I start on the back wheel. HELP ME, lol.

its all a balance of time, money and how shiny. If you are trying to save money than you are doing it the right way. If you want them to stay shiny for a long time all you can do is replace or rechrome them.

Soda blast them:) It will remove a lot of the tarnish. But if the bike gets wet or goes through a warm/cold change a few times it will start all over again:( If you want to spend some $$ you can go with stainless.

I'm on a budget and this is my first bike build. I like the look of clean spokes, but they don't have to be extra shiny or anything. They were painted silver by the PO but between that and years of rust I figured I could get them "clean enough." I'm going to keep working on them and maybe try to find some clear coat spray paint to help a little, but other than that I think after this cleaning I'm going to learn to embrace the patina, lol.:D

Have you considered a 2K automotive clearcoat? You could soda blast them perfectly clean and then spray them and it'll be a much more durable clear than acrylic enamel.

I haven't considered much past getting them cleaned up. If it works better, I'm definitely for it. :thumbsup: I considered getting some new spokes, but they are outrageous when you add the cost of shipping. I figure I can sand these down and have them looking 20 years old instead of 37:D

Back