Close Call!

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
When out for quick ride on bike this afternoon and went to run a quick errand while I was out.On the way back home I`ll be dammed 1 block away from my place a person driving a minivan turns out right in front of me.:wtf:I didnt even have time to lock on the brakes or anything thats how close it was.Doing about 35mph and probaly 10ft in front of this lady turns.:yikes::wtf:

Crap this dam lady could have killed me:eek:

scary moments they are too, had a few meself but tend to drive careful in suburbia!

Im just glad I wasnt going as fast as I normaly do.Normaly I would have been doing 45mph instead of 35mph.Literaly 1 split second soon the lady would have been wearing me and my bike in the side of her van.:eek:

Its good to hear you missed her. A few guys on here where not so lucky:wink2:

i think people should watch better before turning

You can be riding and looking right at the people and they look right at you and still they will do something to screw up your ride.Just like the lady last night that almost hit me.She seen me I have no doubt about.My brights were even on.These drivers dont care they are careless.
My buddy was run off the hiway one day while riding on purpose.hes 65 years old and his bike was in a ditch luckily he didnt get hurt.he said to me I dont know how I got the my bike up but I did and hes riding 1300 cc harley aniversary edition.These Bikes weigh about 700lbs.

I see some of these guys on their crotch rockets driving realy fast through town I think to myself what an idiot.It only takes one car to pull out in front of you and your riding days are over.

Last edited:
Glad you are okay. Not sure if it was on this forum or a general motorcycle one, but before I started up again last year I read a tip for new riders. The gist of it was to always assume that no one can see you, ever, and that every 4-wheel driver is on the road for the express purpose of killing you.

It's a bit of black humour which always makes me chuckle to myself and so it is in the back of my mind every time I see another vehicle approaching where I am about to be. I always assume a lady in a mini-van or SUV will pull out and hit me, and I adjust my speed so if they do, I can stop easily. It can't prevent everything but it helps to play this little mental game as I drive through town or pull out onto a road.
I am glad to report that almost all 4-wheelers fail to hit me and see me clearly instead.
But the "game" has actually worked twice and turned a near miss into a routine slow down and an opportunity for me to blast another super-Mom with my soprano horn. :thumbsup:

I assume most left-turning cars in the oncoming lane will turn out in front of me. I approach them at a slightly lower speed and accelerate once i pass them. Also I have been too busy for practice recently, but it's good to test out your emergency braking skills in an empty parking lot occasionally.
I know that some scenarios are tough to escape from, but i would rather be hitting that minivan at 10mph, than 20mph, etc.

I assume most left-turning cars in the oncoming lane will turn out in front of me. I approach them at a slightly lower speed and accelerate once i pass them. Also I have been too busy for practice recently, but it's good to test out your emergency braking skills in an empty parking lot occasionally.
I know that some scenarios are tough to escape from, but i would rather be hitting that minivan at 10mph, than 20mph, etc.

Yesterday I was doing just that praticing,I was riding in a large parkinglot behind a realy big store chain.I live a 3/4 mile away from it.I had been praticing turns and shifting.I was on my way home .

I take threats on my life seriously. Steel toe boots and drivers door. Open a discussion with the driver using foot, followed by the question "Are you trying to kill me?!?!". Right there in the street. Any answer they provide proves their incompetence.

This helps one release the anxiety created by such close calls, and they don't know what's happened until they get home. And it wakes them and other drivers up...

I've only done it once, but to great effect. :)

Dave

same exact shit happened to me the other day. Cruising up a 30 mph road when some dumb ass girl parked on the right side of the road decides to pull out of her parking 10 ft infront of me. Day light as fuck. I ended up hitting this Bi*ch but luckily i hit my breaks soon enough and slowed down to like 8 mph before the collision.

Luckily! somehow there was absolutely no damage to my xs400 or my own body (and i wasnt even wearing a helmet :banghead:), but she had a big ass dent in her car. I told her it was her problem and left. lol :bike:

im only sixteen and ive been on a moped since i was 15 and last year some chick in a car slammed on her brakes going 30 and i had to swerve off the road and almost crashed just so i didnt hit her

I don't ride without a helmet, too many idiots...
FIRST day with an M/C license I got cut off by a woman in an SUV. Around here Deer are something you "encounter" pretty regularly as well. I've been good at spotting them from afar as I didn't want to hit one in a car/truck long before I got on 2 wheels, so at least I was prepared for them.

It seems to be a common occurrence. I sure don't condone attacking the car or driver, it can sure backfire, but it's funny to watch some wanker in a 4-wheeler get their comuffins.

Its a common occurance I always seem toget cutoff by people driving minivans.All I can say this lady is lucky my bike wasnt running as well as it should have been and so am I.I probaly wouldnt have made this post just been gone from here.One thing I learned if I see a minvan infront of me Im going to stop.I also feel the way dave does,I take threats from idiot drivers very personaly wether Im in my truck or on my bike.I know I have more driving experience than most people because I have driven to both coast and back and then back again.Just not on a motorcycle though.
I was raised around people who road motorcyles though so I was taught to always give a rider room and respect.Theres alot more cars on the road these days also.That doesnt help.

I don't ride without a helmet, too many idiots...
FIRST day with an M/C license I got cut off by a woman in an SUV. Around here Deer are something you "encounter" pretty regularly as well. I've been good at spotting them from afar as I didn't want to hit one in a car/truck long before I got on 2 wheels, so at least I was prepared for them.

It seems to be a common occurrence. I sure don't condone attacking the car or driver, it can sure backfire, but it's funny to watch some wanker in a 4-wheeler get their comuffins.

Gosh I love that guys reaction,definately the samething I would do but then some.I would have kicked in the grill and broke a tailight also.Goes to show how stupid the driver of that car is they stayed there and let the guy kick it.:laugh::thumbsup:

Back