Project BCC Racer - New Guy

LOL - that's one way to look at it! It also seems that the forks don't necessarily match the clamps either. This is going to be fun.

I think I hit the nail on the head. A set of 1980 XS850 forks have all the markings and top triple clamp configuration.

I'll have to get markings and measurements when I get home, but this solves the mystery for me for right now.

XS8501.jpg

XS8502.jpg

Just to bump the thread a little.

My baby girl turned 14 today. Time flies. Here's a shot of her and my wife 13 years ago. I love this photo.

487526_4075789810141_8439659_n.jpg

So here we go again.

Couple bits showed up while I was gone, namely a minty speedometer and the tail hoop from an XS650.

Not much good in its current configuration! Bunch of extra bits, it's all bent wrong...

IMGP7953-X2.jpg

But with the power of science, oxygen and acetylene - and a couple steering rack bolts from a 1976 Mustang - it becomes a u-shaped frame tail for a cafe racer!

IMGP7955-X2.jpg

IMGP7956-X2.jpg

I cut the rack bolts to use as plugs, melted off of all that superfluous bracketry and heated things up to bend them the way I wanted them. I still have fill the rear where I sectioned it to expand to match the width of the stock frame, but the hard part is done!

Yeah. Three things I need to work on before getting into a serious motor search.

- The seat cowl. Will start that this weekend.
- A swingarm underbrace. Completely cosmetic but I think it will fill out the look of the bike quite nicely. Going to pick up some 1/2" or 3." square tubing after I pick my daughter up from school.
- The aforementioned tank. I need to fill the old emblem holes so will need a piece of copper to back the inside to help dissipate the heat when I go to weld it up. Should be a good time that I'm really not looking forward to, but those are the breaks when you buy someone else's project.

Back