Considering buying an XS400...

d4v3thund3r

XS400 Member
Reaction score
It's a 1980 Special II, in blue. Selling for $1300 CAD firm.

This would be my first bike, and though I want to tinker, I don't want to be neck-deep in parts/repairs right off the bat (that'll come with time!).

I'm wondering if I should buy the pictured 1980 XS400 Special II considering a few things the seller has mentioned:

-Needs a carb cleaning and likely a new battery (both done ~14 months ago) for it to "run smoothly". I plan to do this maintenance mostly on my own, possibly with the help of a real mechanic to sync the carbs once cleaned. Sounds like it doesn't currently start up, as the battery is apparently toast. Also doesn't sound like he knows a heck of a lot about bikes (nor do I...). Apparently rode just fine a year ago.

-Also, apparently will need new tires and shocks "in the future".

I will include all the basic maintenance stuff that was done on it 14 months ago if anyone is interested. And 2 more pictures. I also have those.

cPglfic.jpg

Is it worth the money? I probably should get it inspected, and that sounds like it'd be $65 to get it to the shop (Motomethod, Vancouver, BC), and then another $100 or so for a general inspection...

Again, I'm very new to bikes, and though I like tinkering/youtube tutorials, I don't want a bike that'll be more pain than pleasure right away...

Help!

Bike looks pretty clean, but.... $1300 seems high for a bike that doesn't run to me. I don't think anyone on here can give you the kind of warm & fuzzy about maintenance either. We all love our bikes, but many of us do way more rhan "tinker", often not bythe choice :doh:. As much as i love the style and design if these bikes, i would hesitate to buy one that doesn't yet run if you are worried about wrench time... especially for $1465 (including the inspections you listed). Carbs alone take a bit of diligence to get them clean (google "xs400 carb clean" and i bet you get a ton of hits from thus site with the :doh:)

Having said that, if it's love, it's love... what can you do? :bike:

Posted via Mobile

It is a really nice looking bike, but it does seem like a very high price.. I'm no expert, but I think I read here somewhere that if an xs400 is in good shape with no needed repairs - figure About $1000. Or, subtract from $1,000 the cost of repairs needed .

However I did not follow that advice. Bikes get a lot cheaper in the fall if you can wait...

Good luck!

If you ask my opinion yes this bike is high priced for what it is,even if its running I wouldnt pay the amount that its listed for.Where I live $1300 can buy a much better bike than a xs400.Just curious how many miles are on the bike?

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! I agree that $1300 is steep for the bike, and I think waiting 'till fall/winter should yield better results for cost. Also, good point on the mag wheels... that's fishy; apparently he's at least the third owner of this bike, and it's got ~25,000kms on it. Doesn't sound like he's ridden it a whole lot since buying it either... Kinda sounds like he just wants to get his money back that he paid for it.

Here's 2 more photos, and his reasoning for being firm on the price of $1300:

I8UTzmE.jpg
6BmACjv.jpg

He spent almost $1000 to get an inspection/tune up when he first bought it 14 months ago, as well as getting a new battery and an "ultrasonic" carb clean/rebuild/balance/sync. That work, and the rest listed below all seems like basic maintenance stuff:

Replace air filters, oil/filter change, flush fuel tank/add filter, replace spark plugs, new spark plug wire set, check/bleed brakes, lube/adjust chain, etc...

So he rode it only a few times since getting that work done, and has had it parked ever since. Sounds like he just wants to not sell it at a loss (I assume $1300 is about what he paid for it).

The list price was actually $1400, but he mentioned that he'd take off $100 because he's not sure if the battery is actually dead, or just needs a good charge. Sounds to me like it'd actually be dead, if it hasn't been ridden in ~ 1 year. Ho says he's already taking a "hit" of $1000 on the bike, which to me sounds ridiculous, as you'd eventually have to do that stuff to a bike regardless of anyone's situation.

Should I try to bring someone I know who knows some stuff about bikes, and see if I can talk him down further? If so, what would a relatively reasonable price be for this? Is there anyone in this community who's from Vancouver, BC who would be willing to accompany me to see it/talk the guy down? There's beer in it for you!

If it were me keep looking theres got to be better deals out there.If the bike had very very low miles and ran perfect then the $1300 would be reasonable.

if he actually got the carbs clean (big if) then it should run fine unless there are other isues. I think he's over pricing by at least $600. Also it's important not to think of this bike as an investment. Many here have said that they have spent more in parts than they could ever get out of it, not to mention the labor... anyway, good luck!

Apparently the carb cleaning happened at a mechanic's shop, so one could assume they did it correctly (though I'm sure there's a chance they didn't do a very thorough clean).

I know from what I have read about how much other people have spent buying our bikes stock around $800 seems to be around the average.I know when I bought mine I feel that I got an exceptional good deal at $375. running.The only thing it needed was new mufflers.I have maybe spent $200 on upgrades and regular maintnance issues.

$1300 is high, although since you're in Canada, it will be higher than the states.

I'd offer to take the battery and charge it before hand to see if you can get it started. Carbs needing a clean are almost a given on these bikes and something I think every bike owner should be comfortable doing on there own bike.

I paid $1000 for mine last year and it was running with new tires. The battery only needed to be refilled and charged. Hasn't given me any problems yet.

Keep in mind that a "$200 as-is" bike will become a $1500 bike to get it on the road safe and proper. Or closer to $2000 if you want to spend the money on high end parts. And that is not counting paying a shop to do any work.

Paying $1300 for a bike that doesn't run, nor is it road legal, would be foolish. That bike is currently worth no more than $500 (to me, in my opinion). If it was ready to ride and had a valid inspection, then the asking price would be reasonable, but I'd still be trying to get the price lower... ;)

So I think I'm going to continue to get as much info as I can before I take a look at the bike, then offer him less (say $800-900) cash on the spot.

What are good things to watch out for that would instantly reduce the selling cost of the bike?

Last year I bought a Maxim with 27,000 kms, ready to go with clean carbs, new plugs, wires and fork seals, almost new tires for $1,000 including the certification. I put over 15,000 kms before needing to buy or repair any parts - a new chain and a new battery. Rear tire is still good, front one will now need replacing in the next 1,000 kms or so. So $1,300 with a long list of deficiencies is way over priced.
You shouldn't pay now because he over-payed for things after he bought it.

You answered part of your question when you said it needs a new battery and tires.Tires for bikes are not cheap.Plan on spending $150 for a set of tires and another 50 to have them dismounted and mounted and balanced.This is if you take the rims off the bike yourself.A new battery will be $40-$50.Hopefully the nonrunning issue is cause of dirty carbs and a bad battery.Good luck and dont screw yourself.It is cosmeticaly a very nice looking bike so it has that much good going for it.:)

Make sure to also check for rust in the gas tank. Other things to check to bring the price down include the oil - if it is exceptionally dirty or has gasoline in it that will indicate trouble. If the sprockets and chain are worn you could ask for another drop in price. Also, if the wheels aren't stock you could make a big deal out of that and see if he can lower the price.

Hope you get what you're looking for!

Another example. I bought a 81 special 2 for 525$. Was running ok idle was kinda crappy and the charging system wasn't working properly(found out after purchase) :( Body was a pretty good shape.

Also that bike is either a special II with aftermarket handlebars and rims or is is a normal one with Special II side covers.

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!

Though I've browsed the forum a bit, I'm still a bit confused as to what the model number/code I should read on the bike itself (given the wheel/handlebar vs the actual model issue) to verify what it actually is. What letter/number codes should the bike have on it if it's actually a 1980 xs400 Special (and what should it read if it's a Special II)?

To clairfy: the special II has different handlebars and spoked wheels, and the (standard) special comes with mags and the pictured handlebars?

Also, I've done a bit of reading on how to do a compression check without a compression checker, but I'll confirm with you guys to be sure:

I remove the spark plugs one at a time, then cover the hole with my thumb and get the seller/a friend to kick start the engine while the ignition is off... if my thumb gets blown off by the air, there's enough compression to start the engine, if not... I run.

And I do mean blown off the hole, not blown off the thumb joint, haha!

That's not an actual check. You could still have compression and they engine needs a rebuild. Either buy, or rent from a place like Canadian Tire or NAPA, an actual compression gauge.

Back