Did I damage my rocker - cam assembly by powdercoating?

gunteach

Gunteach
Reaction score
soooo - I had a number of my engine components powder coated. Got the 79 XS back together and runs great until it's been run for longer than 30 minutes. It then starts seeping oil from the around the solid rubber plugs behind the points plate. I installed them dry - I am going to reinstall with Yamabond 4. My worry is this - rocker assembly was not removed from cover prior to powder coating - it was just taped off.. Could the high heat from the powder coat process cause an issue?? I believe there is an o ring on other end of the rocker arm opposite of the points side..
xs 400.jpg
xs 400 - 2.jpg

I second the opinion that the bike looks awesome!

I also don't know about powder coating temperatures harming rubber parts. But, I can tell you that I too had a leak from the same area after a rebuild that I thought was from the two rubber plugs, but it was actually from the seal on the timing drive end of the camshaft. You might want to just replace that if the leak doesn't go away after sealing the plugs.

I second the opinion that the bike looks awesome!

I also don't know about powder coating temperatures harming rubber parts. But, I can tell you that I too had a leak from the same area after a rebuild that I thought was from the two rubber plugs, but it was actually from the seal on the timing drive end of the camshaft. You might want to just replace that if the leak doesn't go away after sealing the plugs.
Is that a difficult undertaking?

Is that a difficult undertaking?

It is probably of moderate difficulty. Definitely do the easy thing first (resealing the plugs) and check for leaking. The hardest part of a seal replacement is re-timing the bike after all is done. Your 1979 would have a points ignition, but the same procedure would work for a retro-fitted electronic ignition.

1. Scribe a line on the points backing plate to the engine case in order to make setting the timing back up easier.
2. Take off the timing backing plate.
3. Drill a small hole in the face of the seal into the metal support.
4. Screw in a small screw into the hole and put the seal out with a pliers on the screw end.
5. Install a new seal (tap it in place with a socket that fits the seal).
6. Reinstall the timing plate and align the scribe marks you made earlier.
7. Check the timing to make sure the points open at the correct time (if electronic ignition, run the bike and check/set the timing using a timing light).

Back