Dumbest question of the day?

robdrobd

Loose in the Cuse
Reaction score
Is this in the prime position or the reserve position. I'm hoping reserve. I left my bike in the prime position over night and now it won't start. Did I flood the engine with gas? Is a 1977 xs400. Thanks, here's a pick of my petcock (that doesn't seem like something I should say on the Internet).

uploadfromtaptalk1432430870315.jpg

Thumb stick points to the position indicated by the letters on the plate (res/on/pri). You are on prime. If you are unsure, pull the fuel line off the carb and play around with the selector. Whichever position lets the fuel flow with the bike off is prime.

Yep, that has to be right. Thumb sick points to position. Otherwise, i wouldn't be able to put it in the on position. Which means I had the thing on prime this whole damn time! Right?

Depends on the manufacturer and the bike. I have a honda c70 that the stick points away from the words. For sure, though, on my '79, stick pointing down is "on" and the stick pointing towards prime (like in your photo) is "prime". I spent enough time between rides last year that I had to prime it just about every time I went out, so I'm pretty familiar with that petcock position.

So, yes, you've been in prime.

This is my first Yamaha. I had only ridden 1970's Hondas. On all of those I've owned, the stick points AWAY from the position. Well, now what. Do I have to change my oil, air filters, and plugs?

I would pour off a little oil just to see if it is thin and gassy smelling. If it's not, you're okay, otherwise, change the oil, maybe the oil filter. I'd be surprised if you had to though, as that would mean your rings or seals are bad.

Air filters should be fine. Worst case scenario, you have to let them dry out a bit.

As for spark plugs, I've had great success reusing them over and over and over and over again. As long as the electrodes aren't mangled, melted or missing, you can hit them with a wire wheel to shine them back to "like-new" clean and then re-gap them to spec.

You can probably just pull the plugs and clean them. Turn the engine over a couple times with them out to blow out excess fuel and air everything out for a bit. Then, plugs in and try again.

Gas poured or of the oil drain. I drained the whole bike, pulled plugs and filters. Should I let out air out for a bit?

I would, for a few minutes at least. I have not had gas in my oil on anything before, so I may have sounded a little dramatic before about the rings and seals. Read up a bit on it. It's not the funnest to sit at the computer, reading about other peoples problems, but you can learn quite a lot on the forum. My 5 minutes of searching makes it sound like you may have a leaky/stuck carb float if fuel is making it's way into the cylinder (and crankcase) while the bike is off.

If I'm missing something, I'm sure a much more seasoned member would chime in. I have a good bit of general engine knowledge, but I am relatively new to the xs myself and don't know all the ins and outs yet.

Back