Ebay carb rebuild kits?

cody1awesome

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw this on eBay and was hoping to get some opinions. I have a 78 XS400, do you guys this this will work?

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=131547739724&alt=web

I've been holding off on my carbs cause Im afraid I'll break something and won't be able to replace it. If this set works then I'll go ahead with it. Also, I read something about using Hoppes for carb cleaning. Anybody tried it?

I'm finding many rebuild kits have different size jets than stock. I have a '78 xs400-2e. The manual specifies #137.5 but most kits have a #132.5. Anyone know why this is the case? I actually don't need the jet, just the air jet, the float bowl gasket, and the washer for the panhead screw. But the size of the air jet isn't listed and I question its size as the main jet is different. Thoughts?

I have used them in the past. I used the forums search funtion but it don't seam to pick up the many posts that I made on this subject in the past. The old site did. I know that other members have also used them. So I hope someone else will chime in.

got it. Thanks. I've been searching the forums too, just not as well as you certainly do. Last question. I'm replacing one of the air jets because it was mangled by the previous owner... wrong screwdriver or just too much force. Should I replace both or just the one? I'll probably order a spare or two just so I have them.

I would do the pair, just so you know they are the same.
on the schematics, there is a filter, item 14. when i took my carbs apart, they weren't there, in either. there appears to be space for them. One one of carbs had been clearly toyed with in the past (new gaskets and stripped screw heads) but the other appeared untampered with (original gaskets). Neither had this filter.
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1978-yamaha-xs400-xs400-2e-carburetor/o/m147198sch229695

Have you seen this filter in the mikuni carbs before? Do you use it?

Should be there.
The previous owner might have opted to leave them out if they also had an inline fuel filter.

Leave them out and run an inline filter. It is easier to replace the inline one;)

A little late in replying to this thread. That looks like the kits I got to use on my XS400. I forget what jet sizes were in the kit but noted two things. One the pilot jets I got were missing the cross holes that the original pilot jets had, not sure if this is critical but I elected to use the originals. Second was the bowl gaskets. The hole for the small tube that goes down in the well in the float bowl ( hope that term makes sense) was slightly off from the right location. It pushed the gasket off to the side to where the screw hols on that side were almost 1/2 a hole off. To make them work I used a small cutting bit in my Dremel tool to slot the hole just enough to get the screw holes lined up.

Just looked at the link above for Bike Bandit, what the..... they want $22.02 for that gasket? Yet jets are only $5.00. I'll never understand how somethings get priced the way they are, $22.00 for a nickels worth of paper with a few holes punched in it? But a supposedly high precision machined piece of brass for $5.00?

on the schematics, there is a filter, item 14. when i took my carbs apart, they weren't there, in either. there appears to be space for them. One one of carbs had been clearly toyed with in the past (new gaskets and stripped screw heads) but the other appeared untampered with (original gaskets). Neither had this filter.
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1978-yamaha-xs400-xs400-2e-carburetor/o/m147198sch229695

Have you seen this filter in the mikuni carbs before? Do you use it?
I had them on both carbs in my 1978, what struck me strange is at the link the #14 filter has a note under it that says "USA"? What are we the only place in the world that gets dirt or rust in our fuel systems? Between the strainer on the petcock and a good inline filter I would not get too concerned about one or both those little filters being missing.

Back