Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special

Other than the diaphragms ( if they look god with no holes in them) I would replace all the internal rubber stuff. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end. It's your bike do what you want:wink2: I would prefer to keep it as original as you can. Tuning is far easier and fixing any issues also will take less time. New paint and seat cover wont affect any of this.

The 3 week shipping is making me sad. :(

I mean, I already have it shipped, but I want to see her start. :) But I'll do whatever is safest.

Yeah, that's all I would do. I won't be changing anything else, unless needed. I just feel like it could use a new paint job and seat. :laugh:

3 weeks gives you plenty of time to pull the carbs apart for cleaning and clean and seal the tank at least!

3 weeks gives you plenty of time to pull the carbs apart for cleaning and clean and seal the tank at least!

One carb is taken apart, cleaned after all the rubber is taken out and put back together already.

The fuel tank, I've done some research and it seems it's alright to swirl some fresh gas in it, empty it out, pour some bbs in it, shake it up, empty, some more gas, swirl, empty, seal. Does that sound about right?

thats one way for sure, there are many ways to clean a tank. depends on the severity of the rust

We haven't taken some serious looks yet, but there was definitely some rust. No holes or anything though.

One thing I wasn't sure about is sealing. Most places just say have someone who does this daily to do it, but I kinda wanted to do it myself/with my father. I'm sure I can find instructions online, but is it something I should try with no experience in the matter? All I know now is that "Red Kote" seems to be what is used alot.

I know I shouldn't have..

But I had to try and start her up...

After finding out that the solenoid was dead, from my grandfather who owned it originally, we hooked up jump cables directly to the battery terminals(no battery yet, I do need suggestions on this too.) and it started right up! Revved up nice, didn't cut out, although we didn't test it long.

That's all we're doing for now though. Time to clean it up now that we know it starts. Ordering that engine gasket kit and carb rebuild kit also.

Not sure what to do with the solenoid. My father said, most of the time if it gets stuck, you replace it. But all I can find are used ones on ebay that "may" fit this bike. But at $20 it's not bad..

You can grab any generic starting solenoid and use it. Amazon has some for around $13 shipped. You can find them at auto-parts stores for around the same price if you don't want to wait.

You can grab any generic starting solenoid and use it. Amazon has some for around $13 shipped. You can find them at auto-parts stores for around the same price if you don't want to wait.

Well, waiting two days(if prime eligible) is fine, but I'll get whatever is the best deal! Thanks!!!!

Back