Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special

pears

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post here so chances are I'm doing something wrong. Please feel free to tell me. :)

Well, I'll try to start from the beginning the best I know...

So, in 81/82 my grandfather bought this bike new right out of the showroom. He rid it every once in awhile until '90 when it was last registered and then stored out in a "mostly" waterproof shed.

In '05 my father got it and it got stored in a completely waterproof(And heated/cooled) garage. Unfortunately, until a few weeks ago I had pretty much forgotten about it..

About the condition, It has 5200 miles and seems to be in pretty good shape. The wheels are pretty well rusted but steel wool seems to help quite a bit. It seems like everything is there. It was still working perfectly when it was stored 25 yrs ago.

My father works quite a bit with cars, and used to work with motorcycles so that's a lot of help! Right off the bat, he said that it's going to need new "Carburetor intake manifold boots" Like these. And that he thinks it could use a whole carb rebuild kit and engine gasket kit. And then we'll find out what else after that.

Something that sparked my curiosity, from the sources I found(Wikipedia) the later XS400s had hydraulic brakes and cast alloy wheels, yet this '81/82 has the older spoked wheels and drum brakes.

A few things I'd like to know if anyone could help. :)

Where to order a carb rebuild kit? Like this? Also, the best place to order random parts if needed. Should I just scour ebay?

Should anything that says it's for a "1980-82 XS400" fit on a 1981/82 Heritage Special?

Is it worth fixing in your honest opinion? I plan on fixing it, even if it ends up costing me quite a bit, but is it a good bike? Mind you I've never touched a motorcycle before(Or even that much driving in general to be honest)

What should be looked at/cleaned/replaced before even trying to start it? I want it to be completely safe for the bike to start before trying, but I'd also not dump a few hundred in on parts that aren't absolutely needed to find out the engines dead or it won't start for a different reason.

Last bit of info, we live down next to the Barber Motorsports Museum, so before we order anything, we'll be going there in October to the Vintage thing they have down there. Supposed to be a few hundred vendors selling vintage parts.

I don't mean to be a bother, but does anyone have any info on it?

Again, sorry for bumping!

Although, I will put some pics in this post if someone needs some.

Welcome! Get some pics up!
Download the manual, Check these links and get started!

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595&highlight=inspection

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13321

MikesXS, ebay, xs400 classifieds and a local Yamaha dealer will be your friend for finding parts

can check on partzilla or boats.net to see which parts from other bikes will fit.. once you click on a part number the next page will have what other bikes that part was used on

If the intake boots are cracked and old i would replace them, they are rather cheap and you will likely run into many tuning issues if they are leaking... Photos help us identify bikes as do vin numbers... since they were specific for model years.

if it turns over, is getting fuel, has compression, and has spark there is no reason it wont start up! (setting timing and tuning of course)

Thanks much!!!!!!

I'll look through those links right away! :)

Yeah, it seems that ebay may have almost, if not all, the parts I'll need. But I definitely want more options, thanks! The local Yamaha dealer could have parts for an early 80s bike?? :eek:

They are both cracked and old! Should I replace them before trying to start her up to see if she even starts? It's less than $50 so if that's so, it's not like I'm putting out much incase the engine doesn't start. My father said it's possible to put some of that liquid rubber on the big cracks, just to see if it starts up? Obviously we'll be replacing them before I ride it though.

Well, I atleast know that when I use the kick start, the engine turns over!

my local has or can get all the parts for my 78 as long as they are not obsolete...

i would check for compression first. If it has good compression then you know it "Can" run.

it wont hurt anything by trying to start it with the crappy boots on there. If i had to guess it wont start since it has been sitting.. the carbs need to be cleaned (probably multiple times) Change the oil and filter and use fresh gas.

if it doesnt start, the worn boots are likely part but not all of the problem

i would disassemble and clean the carbs very very very well and replace any gaskets and rubber seals before i tried to start it. (Carb cleaner eats rubber so be sure you have all the rubber diaphragms out before you go spraying away!)

Wow. I have to see if I can find a Yamaha dealer!

I'm completely new to this so I'm not sure what this means exactly, but I'm guessing that's what the manual is for. Haha! I'll have my father to help, but right now he's out of commission for a few days as he just got knee surgery.

Yeah, the fuel tank is kinda nasty.. Need to find a good way to clean it..

Yeah, I got the cleaner. Should it need new diaphragms? They're one of the parts that I was hoping didn't go very easily. I'll try and take some pictures later. Right now I still can't get it out of the garage and like I said my father just got knee surgery meaning he can't move anything. Although I may just do it myself and put it all back.

Just looking at ebay, do you think it's probably worth while to get all of these if it starts? Right off the bat I'll probably order the rebuild kit(from china. guess it's going to be a few weeks/months) and boots so I can start it up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS40...EPAIR-KITS-INCLUDED-CI-XS400ACR-/131547739724

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-82-YAMAH...110-/400849209400?hash=item5d54798838&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-C...S34-/271972916386?hash=item3f52d95ca2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS-4...maha|Model:XS400S&hash=item5d5a1151b8&vxp=mtr

you wont know if you need new diaphragms until you have your carbs apart and can inspect them.

use the google search at the top-left of the site there are a few threads for cleaning and sealing tanks.

i like to buy real mikuni jets. there are mixed reviews about the cheap Chinese crap. to each their own

the search function is your friend

you wont know if you need new diaphragms until you have your carbs apart and can inspect them.

use the google search at the top-left of the site there are a few threads for cleaning and sealing tanks.

i like to buy real mikuni jets. there are mixed reviews about the cheap Chinese crap. to each their own

the search function is your friend

Where would you recommend getting a carb rebuild kit from? That one I linked is the only one I can find.. Cheap parts and 3 week shipping from china.. I couldn't really find anything on MikesXS.

I know it sounds stupid but, what's what? XS400, XS400S, XS400H, XS400SH. I can't seem to find anything.. I know it's probably blatantly obvious but I had to ask..

Post a pic of the bike and carbs so we know the exact ones you have.

Post a pic of the bike and carbs so we know the exact ones you have.

I have to go shopping so this pics are kinda rushed. Just ask if you need something specific and I'll try to get it when I get home.

EDIT: Ugh.. I can't get them to upload.. I'll get them up when I'm back..

I take all photos on my iphone in landscape mode and email them to myself from the phone. After downloading them to my desktop i upload them on the site.

I take all photos on my iphone in landscape mode and email them to myself from the phone. After downloading them to my desktop i upload them on the site.

Just got back. Will upload.

I got all the pictures downloaded, directly from the camera, but it said there was an error uploading and for me to do them 1 or 2 at a time. :)

Got it!

Attachments

• P1030614.jpg
    P1030614.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 266
  • P1030615.jpg
    P1030615.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 252
  • P1030616.jpg
    P1030616.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 250
  • P1030617.jpg
    P1030617.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 246
  • P1030618.jpg
    P1030618.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 242
  • P1030621.jpg
    P1030621.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 243
  • P1030624.jpg
    P1030624.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 257
  • P1030627.jpg
    P1030627.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 266
  • P1030636.jpg
    P1030636.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-1408.html This kit will work. I would fully take them apart and inspect and clean everything. On the top of the carbs facing the motor when they are on the bike you most likely still have the brass caps over the idle mix screws. You will need to remove them to adjust the carbs. There are threads in the forum on how to do this. The bike is an 82 sohc xs400SJ. From the looks of it will need a total tear down to clean lube and inspect everything to be safe to ride. For the motor I would change the oil and filter including cleaning the sump screen. I would put some light oil in the intake ports and down the plug holes and turn it over slow for a few day to make sure nothing is sticking and has good clean oil.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-1408.html This kit will work. I would fully take them apart and inspect and clean everything. On the top of the carbs facing the motor when they are on the bike you most likely still have the brass caps over the idle mix screws. You will need to remove them to adjust the carbs. There are threads in the forum on how to do this. The bike is an 82 sohc xs400SJ. From the looks of it will need a total tear down to clean lube and inspect everything to be safe to ride. For the motor I would change the oil and filter including cleaning the sump screen. I would put some light oil in the intake ports and down the plug holes and turn it over slow for a few day to make sure nothing is sticking and has good clean oil.

Thanks. :)

Where the other one from china comes with many more pieces, are they not needed for this one? Will that carb rebuild kit be all that's needed, or will I need some more? Just for the carbs of course.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ie4bh1p9-83ca7c31-c8a6-4f3e-86e6-62c96137916d The china kit has all the stuff other than the butterfly seals and the 155 air jet that your carbs have. But i don't know what kind if quality they are.

That's what I was wondering. The one you linked from MikesXS seems to be real parts, not Chinese knockoffs, but it doesn't come with much.

On the other hand, the one from eBay doesn't directly say it fits the Heritage Special so I wasn't sure.

:shrug:

Most of mikes stuff is knock off parts. :( Real stuff costs a lot.

Oh.

I guess I'll just order the Chinese kit then. It's so cheap that if I need a few extra parts I can just get them.

I know, I should be more patient.. But I have a question..

If we clean out the carbs, and nothing rubber looks too bad, could we maybe put it all back together and just see if she starts? :confused:

Also, probably a stupid question, is it wrong to really customize these bikes? I know it's like sacrilege to mod/customize some things, but is this something that really should be left as original as can be? My father used to do tons of upholstery work, and my neighbor own a body shop so I really think it would be awesome to make it my own..

Other than the diaphragms ( if they look god with no holes in them) I would replace all the internal rubber stuff. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end. It's your bike do what you want:wink2: I would prefer to keep it as original as you can. Tuning is far easier and fixing any issues also will take less time. New paint and seat cover wont affect any of this.

Back