eingine work hot rod

antsuzook

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
engine work

can anybody help me I am looking to hop up a xs400. To start off some cheap hop ups I all ready have a 2 into 1 pipe. I thought about milling either the head or taking 50 thousandths of the deck to get me a point more compression ratio. That is pretty economical. do they have cams and big bore kits for the little xs?:thumbsup:

No, no and no. I would not mill the head down these are already a 9.3:1 engine and taking that much off would cause a lot of issues. There are no big bore kits for these anymore some people have tried to fit pistons from other bikes but I have never seen one finished. There is/was a place I think they are called megacycles that can do a regrind of your stock cam but the price is around $300 and it's only a mild upgrade.:(

Do you have a sohc bike or a dohc bike? There are even less for the dohc bikes.

any body out there road racing one of these or has raced one? and I the only old guy willing to lock wire one of these gems and put some number plates on it I am in my early and very uyoung 50's

Ant:)

Ant Zooooks, Word on the streets going stock, we can pull away faster than some some of the youngsters on their ninja bikes.

I have no experiences like that, I always follow the law.:laugh: :angel: I guess we didn't get the angel upgrade.

:bs: I am full of it today, We wanna be safe than sorry.

The other thing your going to run into is, our bikes are hitting, or over 30 years old. Parts are becoming rare, and rarer. You can't just run down to the local Yamaha store, and get a gasket, or anything else that got stripped or what may have happened to any one of us!

What ever you decide to do, good luck!
Tobie

... I guess we didn't get the angel upgrade.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :bs:
ange3d4.gif

If anything you could have some mild porting done and have the head shaved by about 10-15 thousands.Some people have found higher compression pistons from other bikes but I don't remember the models they came from.If you end up raising the compression you will probably have to run higher octane fuel.You can use xylene or touline as a home made octane booster which you can but at menards in small cans for $6-$8 and just add 1 teaspoon per full tank.I run it in my truck and it works also increasing mpg.Its better than any off the shelf octane booster you can buy.I haven't tried it on my bike yet.

If anything you could have some mild porting done and have the head shaved by about 10-15 thousands.Some people have found higher compression pistons from other bikes but I don't remember the models they came from.If you end up raising the compression you will probably have to run higher octane fuel.You can use xylene or touline as a home made octane booster which you can but at menards in small cans for $6-$8 and just add 1 teaspoon per full tank.I run it in my truck and it works also increasing mpg.Its better than any off the shelf octane booster you can buy.I haven't tried it on my bike yet.

Back