First bike! Now what to do with it?

SierraBravo

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was hoping someone could give me a few quick tips. I am looking to buy my first motorcycle and a friend has a 1980 400XS Special for sale. It only has about 5000 km (or miles?) on it. It is running fine, but it is completely original - tires, chain etc- all original. It has been stored inside out of the elements so there is no rust or anything on it. I know it will need new tires immediately, but can I get away with fixing things as they break or are there major safety things I should do right away (or at least check)? Safety is my biggest concern here!

Background- I am completely new to motorcycles, and do not have much (if any) mechanical knowledge. I am willing to learn, and my husband, an aircraft mechanic, said he would help. Do these older bikes need a lot of tinkering, or do they run pretty well?

Any help, advice or direction would be great. I have been looking through many of the projects posted here and people have done a lot of really cool things!

Thanks!
SB

Welcome aboard!

Tires, yes. Then, check brake pad / shoe thickness and proper operation. Change the oil & filter. Lube and adjust the chain. Make sure the lights, brake light and blinkers operate properly. The procedures for doing these things will be found in an owner's manual or a service manual, like Chilton's or Haynes, etc. You'll probably want to pick up one of those as well. Many times they can be found free electronically online. Maybe even on this very site, I'm not sure.

Then, ride it and fix what you find, if anything. Tune-up and such would come later, and mostly only if you find it needs it (running badly, etc.)

By the sound of it, it'll need nothing in terms of tune-up etc. So, I'd just do the tires, brakes, and the maintenance things mentioned, and RIDE! :)

Good luck with it all, and have fun.

Kirk

id start it and look at spark plugs... tell it you love it... its your baby after all.

i was shy with my bike the first time we were alone.

clean low miles is the key... i get weird vibes when i buy a bike with high mileage

welcome to the forum SB

Not to repeat the above, there is a thread on this forum about what to check before firing up the beast, by BCware :)

Fantastic! Thank you for the great information- this gives me some confidence that I am not getting in over my head. Photos will follow soon!

Best,
SB

Back