GUIDE,STR CHAIN 1L9-15591-00-00

cef0

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello Hello,
First of all, great thing that there is such a big community around this beauty of a bike :)
I recently acquired a rebuild that was supposedly not starting because a replacement battery was just about to be delivered. Now, 3 weeks, countless tries and some money later a mechanic finally agreed on to take a look on it. Was quite surprising to see how few mechanics are even willing to take it in and it turned out, that the starter engine has some problem.
I have a XS 400 1981 that has been rebuild into a cafe racer/bobber and while there were some minor parts to fix (oil leak), most of the spare parts it needs have been somehow found to the better or worst.

The only thing that is seemingly not possible to find is the guide for the starter chain (part no. 1L9-15591-00-00).

I tried to find something within this forum after researching on the internet (from US over Europe to JPN) and all I can find is, this part is discontinued.

Do you know if there is any alternative part available that could be used instead of it? Of course if someone knows an original part, would be even better. How do you guys solve the spare part search?

I saw a thread of a guy searching as well but was marked as closed/solved-inactive:
Sold / Found / Inactive - - xs360/xs400 starter chain guide | Yamaha XS400 Forum

Thank you a lot already in advance and
All the best!

Attachments

• guidestarter-chain_big1L91559100-02_8eab.jpg
    guidestarter-chain_big1L91559100-02_8eab.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 35
Welcome to the forum!

Finding some of the discontinued parts is frustrating and difficult, but sourcing some hard to find parts is one of the things that defines the ownership experience of a vintage machine. There is no alternative part that I know of that you can use, sorry.

My method for finding new, old stock (NOS) or good used parts is to use the part number (1L9-15591-00-00) to search eBay. This might not work in Poland or the nearby EU countries, but it is the most reliable site in the USA that I have found. I just searched, and you are correct that there are none available - right now. You will have to keep trying until something pops up. Your other option is to buy a wrecked or tired engine or bike just for the part you need (this might not be a bad option if you can get it cheap enough.)

So, not great news for you right now, but something will turn up! I am waiting for the day that laser scanning and 3D printing of these plastic parts becomes easy, simple and cheap.

Welcome to the forum!

Finding some of the discontinued parts is frustrating and difficult, but sourcing some hard to find parts is one of the things that defines the ownership experience of a vintage machine. There is no alternative part that I know of that you can use, sorry.

My method for finding new, old stock (NOS) or good used parts is to use the part number (1L9-15591-00-00) to search eBay. This might not work in Poland or the nearby EU countries, but it is the most reliable site in the USA that I have found. I just searched, and you are correct that there are none available - right now. You will have to keep trying until something pops up. Your other option is to buy a wrecked or tired engine or bike just for the part you need (this might not be a bad option if you can get it cheap enough.)

So, not great news for you right now, but something will turn up! I am waiting for the day that laser scanning and 3D printing of these plastic parts becomes easy, simple and cheap.

Thank you for your response and the warm welcome CaptChrome! Yes, some of the starter motor parts was possible to find on ebay in US and am waiting now for the delivery. I'm quite sure it wasn't the last time falling back on the the experience of you guys. In the end, it is just the beginning :D

Sometimes you can also find the part combined with the part it goes in. In this case also search for someone selling the engine cover or case half or something, it may have the part included. Don't be afraid to message the seller and ask if they'd sell that part separately.

Sometimes you can also find the part combined with the part it goes in. In this case also search for someone selling the engine cover or case half or something, it may have the part included. Don't be afraid to message the seller and ask if they'd sell that part separately.
That's also a great idea, Thank you!

Literally on the same hunt right now....crazy that there are no 3d printable files to find either

Literally on the same hunt right now....crazy that there are no 3d printable files to find either
Yes... I even found couple of people sellingthe engines part by part here i. Polabd but this small piece is usually already sold at the moment of contacting them... Was also thinking of asking a friend (or online) for 3d printing but finding the schematics for printing was not successful either

I found one now waiting for delivery. it seems xs360 and xs250 are using the same part so it might be more successfull to search for those parts.
The guy I found it also didn't use the full code in describtion 1l9-15591-00-00 but only 1l9-15591 and also the full name starter clutch chain guide.
Once deliverd I will see if it is possible to make a 3d print file from it before putting it inside :cheers:

Back