First time buyer... Is this a good deal???

sirntnow

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I am interested in buying my first motorcycle and am interested in a clean cafe or brat style bike. My buddy has been helping find me bikes for sale through the Utah classifieds and we came across the following add:

Perfectly Created '81 Yamaha XS 400 Special BRAT STYLE! Less than 600 original miles
salt lake city, UT * 84124 **| * May 21, 2013
You are looking at a modernized time warp created by Moto St. Joseph Designs. Beyond the already limited design, the cycle is very much classic original! The bike is perfectly straight with an aggressive body line.
Brat Style bikes have origins back to the '60's Scramblers and Steve McQueen! But most recently the style has come full circle with the soldiers returning from Europe and the Mid east. The idea, to create a post apocalyptic machine that puts a smile on your face with every ride. The European style and in- your-face grunt of this bike will keep you wanting to ride all year! This bike delivers every time and does it with understated style.
There are plenty of choppers and bobbers on the road these days! Get a bike that will set you apart and gather crowds every time you stop for a Beer at Brewvies or ride to the store! Every time I ride, I get to answer questions about the bikes style. From pictures of girls on the bike or guys wishing they could pull it off! Here are the specifics:
- 1981 Yamaha XS Special 400
- Kick start( electric start disable but in tact)
- Renthal Flat Track Bars
- Original Head lamp
- Pod air filters
- Understated Front and rear turn signals
- Original Custom tank,weather work and paint will only get more attention as it ages.
- Vintage throttle and grips
- Vintage 18 inch front Carlisle tire
- Vintage Brand New reproduction Avon MKII 5.0 on rear. DOT approved
- new battery
- Chrome laced front and rear rims in fantastic shape and true'd!
- cleaned and detab'd frame
- Heat Wrapped straight Pipes (loud enough to be known on the road)
- excellent front and rear brake drums in perfect condition
- New spark plugs
- Engine is super tight with no oil drips
- Dime City Cycles Custom weld Frame seat hoop
- Dime City Cycles Bratstyle to up tufted seat

There truly is no other bike out there like this. Let your bike speak for your style! Please feel free to contact me with any questions. If you know anything about these bikes, you know it will go quickly!

He is asking $5700, but I can get him down to $5000. Is this a good deal or am I getting taken advantage of? The bike is awesome in it's minimalism, but I haven't seen any go for this much. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 258
That isn't a "first bike". It is someone else's project that they are tired of and want to turn a profit on. $2000 would be pushing the upper limit for that bike. Great sales pitch though...

I think it's way too much. Of course, when a professional builder makes one of these it costs more, but a good condition, ready-to-ride, good looking xs400 goes for not much more than 1000 bucks. Add some pro building and customizing and you won't go more than 2000 dollars I think.

5 grand is a ripoff, in my opinion. The only way the builder would get that is if he was payed by the hour to build it specifically for someone.

and it doesn't even have a seat ?? :wtf: for 5k I at least wouldn't expect my ass to be destroyed..

c'mon man...for $5000 you can buy complete stock bike, completely rebuild engine, customize it a spend the rest of money on petrol

more than that. you can have someone do it for you for that money, and end up with a nicer bike than this one

It's an $800 bike at best:laugh: Looks like a cut up stock bike with no real upgrades :wtf:

I'd agree with all others. PASS on this one like a dead skunk. The look has potential but from the pics it's only half done. Electric start there but disabled tells me possible electrical issue and just the glowing words in the description tells me Snake oil salesman. For your first bike I'd find something stock or close to it. Learn to ride well and see if you like to ride. Nothing worse than putting major dollars down on something you may not enjoy.

I think Its a good deal for the seller! Not to say they are asking too much but I see Its not just a cash out of parts invested but the intention to account for the labor at shop rates. If there was any prep-work involved the owner still wouldn't be breaking even. Dont blame them for trying though.

If I were to cash in I would be no less than $1400-1800 just for the bike and all the parts I have procured to make it tip top stock (minus pods and pipes). Keep looking and slow play the purchase. You wouldn't get married on a first date would you?
...I hope she puts out then!:laugh:

If you got 5 grand to spend on a bike get something better and newer.Something you wont be working on and is fun fast to ride.Buy your self a nice sport bike:)

I'd steer waaaaay clear at that price. The guy sounds like an advertising exec. I could make a list almost identical to that for my bike that I've sunk $2500+ into. Unfortunately, it doesn't run and probably never will. It's sitting in a shop waiting for parts that can't be found. Take that money and buy a new Bolt.

Back