Footpegs / Footrests, I need some help with sizes

jray

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys, Ive been trying to find a left footpeg that fits my XS, for some reason every footpeg/footrest that i find on eBay for an XS 250/400 has a bolt distance, centre to centre, of 48mm. My bike measures 40mm.

Do i just happen to have an obscure frame??

Next time you happen to be next to your XS with your verniers id really appreciate your input!!!

photo.JPG

I remember looking at the distance between the bolt holes and from memory it was something like 48mm. What year have you got? And yeah from your photo, they do look closer together than mine, that or your bolt heads are fatter, lol.

I wonder if they are for the later frame where it was a pressed steel bracket and pointed rearwards with a semi rear set.

I would pull the peg off and measure the protruding threaded pieces attached to the frame. The way you are measuring doesn't look accurate because you are guessing where the center of the bolts are. You don't actually have to measure "center to center," you can measure from extreme top to extreme top for example.

Those bolts holding your pegs on do not look OEM. Is there a locking washer on them? If not, please add a fender washer and a locking washer.

I just measured mine and got about 48 or 49mm. A set from an '81 fits my '78, so they are both the same size. The set from the '81 has different bushings with a metal insert. The set from the '81 has more metal surrounding the rubber bushing, however, and was making contact with the rear brake lever slightly when I fit them on.

Your rear brake lever is definitely a lot different than mine too.

Thanks for your input guys. I believe my bike is either a 1980 or 1981. The frame and engine number starts with 5E9.

Everyone I have asked thus far has measured 48mm, so I just cant work out why mine are 40mm.

Drewpy ill check the frame tonight and see if mine matches your description.

Drewpy I have some I those pegs and the measure 40mm.
But the one I have photographed on the bike is the regular swept forward style and measures 40mm. I can't find these anywhere.

Maybe it was different on the 250 frame? Can't imagine why.

Might have to fab my own. Anyone done custom pegs?

Ancient thread I know, but your 5E9 chassis number caught my eye. I've just seen an 81 model with that series chassis number, and it has an old style petrol tank and rear mudguard. Totally confused me.

I have 3 xs250 chassis, and the foot pegs on them all have bolt spacing of about 45mm. I'd have to pull one off to get a more accurate measurement though. Maybe I'm wrong, but one of your vernier points looks over centre to me, making your spacing even less than 40mm?

How did you solve this jray?

Back