Geico says vin is invalid

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So bought some insurance from geico but they are saying my vin is invalid. Am I identifying it wrong? There is one number i can't make out on the sticker. I'm guessing its a zero but it appears I'm wrong. I've included the picture of the sticker what i read is:

JYA16M00-4-0-002659 Thats what i gave geico and they says it's invalid what am i doing wrong.

Attachments

• VinPic.jpg
    VinPic.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 672
you are lucky. my has only a bill of sale. that is all you need for the state of GA. I hope when I move to Washington State, they do not give me any crap.

Is it common for these bikes not to have titles after these many years?

To everyone, you must get a title before you buy a bike otherwise it just for parts!!

Ya I am having some Iowa title fun that is hopefully getting solved over my lunch hour today. After 1980 Bike titles are supposed to have a 17 digit vin well my 1981 Yamaha is titled in Iowa years ago using a 9 digit vin so when i went to get the title in my name they wouldnt do it. Had to take pictures of the vin and fax it to the sate of Iowa and then they finally gave the approval to re title it using the 9 digit vin. What a PITA. I cant imaginge the process if you dont even have a title, trying to get it bonded or track down the previous owner will be a nightmare.

To everyone, you must get a title before you buy a bike otherwise it just for parts!!

That's true in your state, my state, and many other states, but not every state requires a title for older vehicles. Also, many states have a process for obtaining a title when there is not one already if the vehicle has limited value. In Indiana, there is a process for vehicles valued under $5,000.

Last edited:
Ya I am having some Iowa title fun that is hopefully getting solved over my lunch hour today. After 1980 Bike titles are supposed to have a 17 digit vin well my 1981 Yamaha is titled in Iowa years ago using a 9 digit vin so when i went to get the title in my name they wouldnt do it. Had to take pictures of the vin and fax it to the sate of Iowa and then they finally gave the approval to re title it using the 9 digit vin. What a PITA. I cant imaginge the process if you dont even have a title, trying to get it bonded or track down the previous owner will be a nightmare.

So got my title and new plate for the XS now if only it would magically paint and put itself back together ! They ended up modifiying the title to now have 17 digits in the VIN so hopefully no problems going forward.

I bought mine from a dealer and was given the title. It is not common, however, especially since my state does not require a title for 15+ year-old bikes.

you are lucky. my has only a bill of sale. that is all you need for the state of GA. I hope when I move to Washington State, they do not give me any crap.

Is it common for these bikes not to have titles after these many years?

if it is registered in GA then most likely you will be able to aply for a title in washington.just might have to fill out a lot of paperwork.

It's a government issued document (by the state) that is evidence of ownership and odometer reading at the time of transfer of ownership.

if it is registered in GA then most likely you will be able to aply for a title in washington.just might have to fill out a lot of paperwork.

That is what I am thinking of doing. One of my buds is from Washington but could not recall if I could get a tittle. I will have to research this some more once I get there. This week, I went to the DMV and registered the bike under my name. With that out of the way, I have removed the motor and will try to get the frame to the painter this month. I want to restore the bike before summer's end.

Back