Gifted XS400, Looking Forward to Being a Member Here

Wolfe_11B

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So I just picked up a 1981 XS400S today. It was a gift from my father, a welcome home from Afghanistan present. Guess he figured I survived 3 times overseas, might as well give me something for it :) He traded three die-cast cars to a family friend for it, so I suppose this bike was pretty much free all around.

It has 3000 original miles. The family friend we got it from received it in 1990 as a gift as well, and put a whopping 500 miles on it since he got it. The last time he had it on the road was in the mid 90's, and he said the last time he had started it was 2 years ago. He says it started up but was sputtering, and suspected the carbs needed to be gone through and just never got around to it(Might have something to do with the cracks straight through the rubber carb mounts). It's not too bad condition wise, needs a little bit of the NE Ohio grit to be polished off. The gas tank also tried to catch a baseball and has a pretty dent on the right side. Kick start doesn't catch on anything so I'll have to look into that, and the push button for the electric start seems to have fallen off.

Don't know what I want to do with it yet. I'd hate to tear it up since it's pretty nice as is. Maybe I'll just do some slight mods to make it a bobber, nothing too drastic. I'm for sure going to take the whole shebang apart- clean up everything, give the motor and trans a good once over, new tires and shocks, etc. Can't wait to get into it!

null-2.jpg

null-1.jpg

Welcome Wolfe!

Looks like you have a great candidate for restoration! I'd be inclined to fix her up and ride her. At first anyways... :)

And thanks for your service, it is appreciated.

Dave

looks great !
try kicking it over in neutral without holding the clutch in

^this! Being someone who's never used a kick start bike before I learned this when my buddy and I were trying to start it up the first day I took it home haha. Luckily we didnt snap the kick starter in half the way we were jumping on it :yikes:

Awesome bike and almost a identical twin to mine,the tank is the same color and I have a dent almost in the same spot just a bit smaller:laugh:

Thanks for all the kind words. I did decide not to mess with it at all since it is a very nice bike as is. I'm probably going to put some new rubber on it, get it all cleaned up and just enjoy it. Got the kick start to catch so I'm good there. Can you adjust the shifter on these old bikes? I'm only getting 1st, neutral, and 2nd. I've only worked on post 2003 bikes before, so I'm not to hip on the mechanics of this one yet, and still waiting on the service manual to come in.

Thanks for all the kind words. I did decide not to mess with it at all since it is a very nice bike as is. I'm probably going to put some new rubber on it, get it all cleaned up and just enjoy it. Got the kick start to catch so I'm good there. Can you adjust the shifter on these old bikes? I'm only getting 1st, neutral, and 2nd. I've only worked on post 2003 bikes before, so I'm not to hip on the mechanics of this one yet, and still waiting on the service manual to come in.

You can adjust your clutch yes and probaly would hurt to put fresh motorcycle oil in it either.Another thing is you will find working on this bike is very simple.Enjoy and ride it.You wont have any regrets about it.:D

Yeah Buddy! That is awesome....

you can adjust the clutch cable (easy as pie) and see if it shifts a bit better. Ditto new oil.
Carbs are a walk in the park. Remove them, open them up and take out the springs/diaphragms, and float bowl parts and bag them/put them aside, labelling which goes to which. Then immerse the whole damned thing in some 2/3rds hot water and pine sol. Overnight soak or two days if you're really picky. Get some carb cleaner, spray and blow it out with compressed air.

After all that, get her running and see if you can balance the carbs with a cheap clear tube/atf manometer. it's all over google. Easy to make.

Good luck!

Drewcifer

Don't forget that sometimes you need to roll the bike forward to find more gears! If you're selecting gears while the bike is static this may be your problem. Also, if you have a center stand you can just roll the rear wheel by hand with the clutch in.

Back