Got new lithium ion battery coming. Need to upgrade to Solid State

Mateo

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My battery tender lithium ion battery is on it's way. My build is almost done. Weld up the new exhaust, finish under seat tray and tidy up wiring. I tried researching what regulator rectifier to get but the deeper i go down that rabbit hole the more lost I get. Most stuff is talked about the xs650 which doesn't help much. And the prices are all over the place. My bike is a 3W5 serial bike. That makes it a 1980 bike even though I was told it was 1982 when I got it. It has the 3 white wires from the stator as shown in the photo. I hear the caltric one from amazon can work? I'm a bit dubious about the mixed reviews, but some guys just like to hate on that stuff. I read it has a 1 year warranty? If I have to I will spend the $100+ dollars to get one up here in canada from mikes xs or wherever. What I'm looking fro from you xs400 ninjas is what solid state regulator rectifier i need so i can get this little fun cycle going and have no problems with overcharging,. Running LED lights almost everywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 511
I'm in the same boat as you right now. Been doing a lot of reading about regulators and rectifiers trying to sort this all out. Still not quite sure which direction to go...

I've been looking at Anti-Gravity batteries as well as Ballistic Performance, but it seems like the charge voltage needs to be capped at 14.4V. So far it's pretty hard to find regulators that even state what their output voltage even is.

I'm also in your neck of the woods (Edmonton). Shipping to Canada is so damn expensive when the dollar is $0.74

Take a look at fortnine.ca for parts including batteries, they are in Canada and anything over 49$ ships free
Yeah I've been on there looking for parts. Definitely going to be buying tires from them. As far as batteries go, I may go down the route of buying some LiFePo4 cells and build my own.. If I'm going to kill a battery, I'd rather kill one that costs half as much as an off-the-shelf one.

Electrical is the most confusing parts of my XS360 so far..

But I bought a used xs400 solid state regulator to replace the original mechanical one, and Im just going to buy a Battery Tender battery and forget about it.

I'm gonna test my rectifier and if that is good I'm gonna just buy the regulator on its own and run 2 units. I have room under the seat for it. And it'll save me $100.

Just waiting the emergency room, waiting for someone else(it's minor) but...

mmmboost's thread yesterday was off to a good start.
The stock regulator can be replaced and that may help but also installing a modern regulator is going to be better.
There's not a lot of info on doing this.

Installing any old aftermarket regulator won't work for voltage sensitive batteries. As mentioned above most don't list the cutoff voltage, and most are too high for lithium batteries.
Transpo makes an adjustable regulator but it is only compatible with bikes that came with mechanical regulators.
There are two types of field coil alternator regulators.
A-circuit alternators have their field coil fed from +12V and regulate the path to ground.
B-circuit alternators have their field coil grounded and control the positive supply.
1980+ are A-circuit
-1979 are B-circuit
The IB301A is B-circuit.
I can't recommend it yet as much testing was cut short by carb problems.

Last edited:
That being said, field coil regulators do NOT control the voltage applied to the battery, they only cutoff/reduce the alternator output when a charge level is met.
When charging they apply full alternator output to the battery.
This could be anywhere from 12-16V or even 20V+.
Doesn't matter if it's solid state.

When someone says "modern" or "solid-state" regulator they are more likely referring to a reg/rec from a modern bike that does not have a field coil at all.
"Modern" regulators perform a different function than our stock field coil regulators.
Where a field coil regulator controls the alternator input, a modern regulator controls the alternator output.
It's this output that charges the battery.

When charging they apply full alternator output to the battery.
This could be anywhere from 12-16V or even 20V+.
Doesn't matter if it's solid state.

Isn't the function of the regulator in our systems to regulator current through the field coils to reach a desired output current? Kind of like PWM. Each pulse is digital.....on or off, but the "on-time" is varied so the resultant output to an analogue system looks like a percentage of output. ie. 50% PWM Duty may look like 50% output when really it's 100% output for 50% of the time.

When I was testing my stock charging system tonight my charging voltage across the battery leads didn't exceed 14.55V?

Isn't the function of the regulator in our systems to regulator current through the field coils to reach a desired output current?
It regulates field coil current based on battery charge level. It does not actually monitor alternator output voltage or current.
Adding a three phase SCR/Mosfet reg/rec into the mix does limit the voltage applied to the battery and resultant charge current.
It's an added level of protection. Whether it's a necessary level protection is a personal choice.
Kind
of like PWM. Each pulse is digital.....on or off, but the "on-time" is varied so the resultant output to an analogue system looks like a percentage of output. ie. 50% PWM Duty may look like 50% output when really it's 100% output for 50% of the time.
Most are not complex enough to actually output a pwm signal.

When I was testing my stock charging system tonight my charging voltage across the battery leads didn't exceed 14.55V?
That is good for a stock system and well within range for the Shorai LFX batteries.
Should be just fine.

So with my 1980 xs400, I'm right on the cusp of when it went from b-circuit to...... b-circuit? Still unsure of what actual regulator I need to order......

Sorry, my phone auto-correct is shitty.
Fixed that above.
1980 will be A-circuit.

Might have to dig through old posts but not many members have go too far with aftermarket regulator and lithium batteries.

Yeah I've been on there looking for parts. Definitely going to be buying tires from them. As far as batteries go, I may go down the route of buying some LiFePo4 cells and build my own.. If I'm going to kill a battery, I'd rather kill one that costs half as much as an off-the-shelf one.
Hope you will post how you go about that as rigging up a battery is something I am interested in but know f-all about it...

I went to the local bike shop and got a few parts. Picked up a used regulator as well as a used reg/rec from an XS500 1980. The regulator was from an xs400 and plugged right in, (mine went missing somehow) I'm thinking the R/R from the xs500 is a good upgrade? Solid state? Is it worth using the existing regulator and seeing if it holds the volts down below 14.8 at high RPM's?

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 302
The last year for the xs500 was 77 so I am not sure what that is off of. Also the xs400 rectifier has a five wire connector on it , yours has three. I would stick to xs400 parts that we know work.

Dunno what the reg/rec is from but it has enough wires to work.
Three stator wires, red, black, and green for the regulator.
It'd help to know what it's really from, but XS400 parts would take the guesswork out of it.

Try the stock one for now. I'm assuming it's the smaller solid-state stock unit?

Last edited:
Back