Head acorn nuts

Richmond

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if there was any reason why the head nuts are acorn nuts> does the acorn portion of it serve any purpose?

Don't know, good question! All I know is use a good socket when undoing these because a cheap socket will strip the shit out of them :)

stops the oil running down the studs. and in the pressurised oil gallery, enables the pressure to be diverted to the cam shaft and upper end

Hmmm didn't know that either. Great answer, that's what I learned today. So while I have your attention perhaps you can answer this one. As your tire wears, where does the rubber go?

back to the earth. It's the circle of life, we take the rubber from rubber trees, the trees get their stuff from the earth, and we ride our tires smooth on the road and lose tiny amounts of it at a time, which ends back up flowing off the road, onto the earth :)

So really what you are saying is that if we want to be environmentally conscious and "give back" to the earth all we need to do is ride through as many sets of tires a year as possible?

Jeez, there should be an Environmental Subsidy for using more tires!!

So really what you are saying is that if we want to be environmentally conscious and "give back" to the earth all we need to do is ride through as many sets of tires a year as possible?

I am applying to Ottawa tomorrow for a government grant to do a study on this. The very first part of the study of course will be to spend part of the grant money on new tires for my bike so that I will have the proper starting point. :D

I volunteer [me and] my bike as a subject for the study:)

More related to the thread, how does it keep oil from going down the studs? can oil actually get in the threads?

thanks drewpy..... i was just curious as to what the upsides were to acorns and what the downside would be to a regular nut

Yes, exactly. And while you're at it, you'll give back all the atmospheric carbon dioxide which was locked away in the ground by burning fuel. That carbon was taken from the air by plants and plankton and trapped in the ground for millions of years, so it's about time we give it back to the air! :thumbsup:

The acorn nut being closed on the end keep the threads on the studs from rusting. They also look better than plain nuts.
Leo

On Wheel studs on a car The closed cap on an acorn nut helps keep road grime and sand grains from fouling up the threads. In the event of a flat tire you will appreciate this. Also they look much better cost the manufacturer little and add thousands to the cost of a new car.

Back