Head/cam cover leaking

Campbell45

Penny Pincher
Reaction score
I've noticed I'm leaking oil somewhere at the top of the engine. I clean it off and after a couple of rides I notice more oily crap on the engine after a couple of rides. From the looks of it there is gasket sealant sealing the cam/head cover. Is there not an actual gasket for that?

I also have a hunch that oil is leaking into the cylinders..

Nope, no gasket for that cover. I don't see how oil would leak into the cylinders; if the head gaskets are bad then I would think that the pressure would force oil out of it, not the other way around. :shrug: Anyway, I just put a healthy helping of black RTV on the cover for mine.

I think either the oil is coming from those two bolts or it could be from the entire cover not getting sealed. Are there oil seals on those two bolts?

a5239fc2.jpg

copper washers for those, just anneal them with a blow torch to reuse.

don't put loads of goop on the cam cover, the camshaft runs in that and you'll open the gap on the bearing.

Those bolts seal the rocker arms I believe; I doubt the oil is coming from there as fast as you're describing. Check the numbers above and below the sealed gap of the top cover and the head. The numbers are above the carbs; do they match?

It is also possible someone removed the top cover for easier access to the valves for adjusting and was too lazy to scrape the old goo off and replace it.

For this job I use a conservative amount of non-hardening gasket sealant. When it dries it feels like rubber and peels off very easily.

Also, check the tach and cam oil seals. Is it coming out of the points cover?

If you end up taking the top cover off be very careful not to mess up the mating surfaces. Use a gasket remover and nothing but a brass brush by hand. I wouldn't even use a razor blade.

It is also possible someone removed the top cover for easier access to the valves for adjusting and was too lazy to scrape the old goo off and replace it.

Agree that old gasket sealer prob not cleaned completely if valve cover removed for whatever reason. Make sure cover bolts are tightened to torque specs. Also possible that if they were not torqued to spec or became loose then retorqued after oil seeping then the gasket sealer may have been washed away and tightening won't fix it.

Back