Help a sister (major oil leak)

virgtremblay

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
So last friday I bought an xs400 1983. Clutch was redonne, has a lot of new parts on it. Everything seemed fine. So my dad drives it (licence on the way here) and 2 minutes into our 25 minute ride we notice a major oil leak from the clutch cover. Oil splashing all over the right side. I'm litteraly driving three meters away and my car dash is full. We ended up putting 2 pints of oil. Then 15 minutes later, bike steams and stops.

What could it be ?

I took the clutch cover off, redid the seal, gonna buy a filter and change the oil.

Anything else I can do ? I'm freaking out ...

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 290
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 299
I'm not familiar with the dohc bikes but it all depends on where the oil is exiting.

If it's from around the edges of the cover a new gasket should do it. Was the old gasket damaged? Were the bolts tight?
If the mating surfaces between the clutch cover and motor have any grooves/damage a bit of liquid gasket might help.

Again, not familiar with the dohc bikes, but what's up with the little filter there? Crankcase breather?

Looks like an intriguing bike. I see an ammo can on there. Let's see some pictures of the whole thing. :)

The filter is indeed for the cranckcase breather. But i share the opinion of bbs360. Perhaps when the PO rebuild the clutch he could have used the old gasket to reassemble the cover. Check the little filter for oil. Maybe the piston rings are worn and that could cause the oil to rise thru the filter because of the pressure.

Thanks guys, i'll check for those things tonight, and i'll get a better picture of it for you BBS360.

The oil was coming (from what we've seen, it was night) from the crankcase and goggling from the crankcase breather.

I do need to get a torque rench for those bolts and maybe even a new set since they're originals they might be worn down a little. Althought they look pretty fine to me ...
As for the clutch cover, it's in really good shape, sanded all the previous seal. I used liquid seal this time. Should be dry by tonight.

Thanks for everything i'll keep you guys posted !! Cheers

There should be little more than fumes coming from the crankcase vent. A compression or leak down test will show if the rings are bad.

You will want the proper gasket on the clutch cover otherwise you risk starving the cam shafts for oil. There is a passage in the cover that feeds the head. One can find gasket kits and stainless steel hardware kits on eBay.

Back