help id carbs

drifter

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hi,

i had to replace my original carbs on my 1980 xs400 due to the the carb body being too dammaged to be repairable

i picked up a set of carbs suposedly from another xs year unknown
there are difrences between the carbs

first in the bowl the pilot jet plus is rubber instead of the screw in kind
the diaphram cover is thinner and made from steel not aluminum
the throttle stop screw is in a difrent location
the floats are plastic and not brass

I have no clue what bike these came from ? or the year

at the moment my bike is with the mechanic as i gave up on trying to setup these carbs:banghead: and i dont have pictures

any ideas what i have :shrug:

arcording to http://xs400.net/wb/media/faq_anhaenge/Unterschiede_Vergaser_V1_1.pdf i have bs34
they are from a XS 400 SE -- Mikuni BS 34 III, but it doesnt indicate year

the micro fiche is diffrent at bikebandit too

Hey Drifter

I ran into the same problem on my 1978 after closer inspection I realized my carbs were off a different year. The only recomendation I have is what you may have already done. Go onto bandit or cmsnl or wherever put your carbs beside you and start moving up and down in the years looking at the subtle differences like the different brackets float bowl shapes etc. until you find one thats a match. It's slow going but it worked on mine ended up I had 1981 carbs on my 78.

Hope that was atleast abit helpful

shaun

sounds like you have the DOHC carbs. to make them fit, they need to be wider so new brackets made and a longer petrol link tube sourced/made.
suggested mains 135 and 45 pilots. (found that on T'internet)

the out carb mouths are slightly wider but you can just fit the filter pipes on.

oddly enough they fit asthey are .. not sure on jet size as i dont have them atm.. they are at mechanics

Back