Help, oil leak!

mattg666

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, noticed my motor has been leaking oil behind points cover so I took it off to see where, it's from the cam shaft seam so I went to take the top of the motor off so I could seal it up... But I noticed the side closest to the points that is directly under the shaft is damn near slap full of oil where as the other side only has a little bit... Which seems like this is the reason it's leaking... I'm just wondering if it's normal to have that much oil, and if not, how would I go about fixing it to where it doesn't hold that much oil?? And if it is normal, then how do I seal up this shaft seal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 144
And let me rephrase that, I know HOW to seal it, I just don't know how to get it out... Do I have to take the whole shaft off? Or what?

You have to remove the ignition pickup off the cam and slide the old cam seal out and replace it with a new one. Some people use a rtv goo to seal the rocker cover back on but I prefer to use yamabond 4 sealant. It was designed for this and will hold up far better than any automotive type sealer.

Yes. It is there to lube the cam lobes. Both sides should be full.

Since I have this same repair in my near future (just waiting on the new seal to arrive), is it necessary/advisable to put Yamabond on the seal journals? Or just around the edge of the cam cover?

Ok, only the side closest to the points is full, the other has some but not nearly as full... Does that mean anything? I also have a side kickstand and not center stand so maybe it all just drained over to that side?

Ok, only the side closest to the points is full, the other has some but not nearly as full... Does that mean anything? I also have a side kickstand and not center stand so maybe it all just drained over to that side?

That is most likely the reason.

Since I have this same repair in my near future (just waiting on the new seal to arrive), is it necessary/advisable to put Yamabond on the seal journals? Or just around the edge of the cam cover?

The sealant goes just on the outer edges of the cover and that's it.

Ok one more question also... I took valve cover off the motor a couple weeks ago and failed to put sealer on the cam shaft seal so I put two and two together and figured that's why it was leaking, so I took it off again and cleaned and sealed the edge and seal and put it back together... Waited a day, went to start it today and it was just spewing oil from the points cover now... But one question... How do I take the points plate off... I have the magnetic points so I'm just going to mark the placement of everything... But just to get them off, all I have to do is unscrew this hex head bolt on the end of the shaft correct? ...assuming the screws are already off of the plate and everything...

Back