Help! Still Can't Fire her up!

walleye

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Anyone got any tips on initial firing a long standing bike?
Carbs all cleaned out and everthing seems to flow. Up-jetted on main jets to accomadate pod filters. Fuel seems to be entering cylinders although no wetness on plugs. Spark seems fine, timing set right, unsure float height is correct but fuel in both bowls. Compression good and even.
Turns over on electric start ok but have to keep recharging the battery after sustained attempts at starting. No backfires to suggest any firing.
I'm thinking my next port of call is either a sustained attack with carb spray into the carbs whilst hitting the starter and subtle throttle action but this requires an extra set of hands. Or hand over exhaust to create a bit of extra combustion in the cylinders.
Anyone had this much trouble starting a bike before and if so any ideas!
Oh, And its got fresh fuel but only about 3 litres so I'm having to try and start it on reserve, ( its ok the tank is clean and as far as I can tell the petcock is ).:wtf:
Any help greatly received!
Happy new year to everyone!

I think it was Houghmade did a heads up on checking longstanding bikes because we got fed up of answering the same questions. do a forum search and I'm sure you will find it!

You did not mention if you are certain you have spark at each plug. Float height should have been properly set when each carb was apart. I would not flood the carbs with starting fluid - if that is what you mean. It is not intended for that purpose. If plugs are wet, you are getting fuel to each cylinder but if plugs are not firing, the engine won't start no matter how much you crank of spray starting fluid.

BTW, do not hold the starter button down continuously - the starter is not meant to handle sustained cranking. Not over 10 sec./attempt, then let off the button for a few secs.

Sounds like no spark. I know what you said but how did you test your plugs? Also grab an old pump style oiler and squirt two pumps in each cylinder then reinstall the plugs. If you hear it start sputter n die its fuel based. If you get no change spark or air is to blame. Also some of these have clutch kickstand and killswitch electricals that'll muck up any starting situation. Also if your enrichener is off it'll give you fits

You may find it benificial to pull your pepcock from your tank and inspect the filter to see if that's mucked up

Gotta check the float height. I ignored mine for 4 months before I finally broke down and checked it..... I was about 22mm away from where I needed to be

Sounds like no spark. I know what you said but how did you test your plugs? Also grab an old pump style oiler and squirt two pumps in each cylinder then reinstall the plugs. If you hear it start sputter n die its fuel based. If you get no change spark or air is to blame. Also some of these have clutch kickstand and killswitch electricals that'll muck up any starting situation. Also if your enrichener is off it'll give you fits

Ok, heres where I'm at.
Tried the 2 squirts of fuel in the cylinders and got a couple of splutters fist time and a nice big backfire the second time, then my battery ran to low. I had the petcock set too prime to bypass the vacuum but the enrichener was off.
I'm sure my float heights are correct, right amount of fuel in both bowls.
Is it worth perservering with this method and trying different petcock settings and enrichener settings? I suppose yet another carb clean can't hurt as well.
I've arranged for my mate to pop round on the weekend with his multimeter to check the resistance levels in the coils.:banghead:

Use prime till it starts then switch to on.
Use the enrichener till it starts then as it warms up push the enrichener back in a bit. It may take some practice to get it figured out just how to operate the enrichener.
Some need it a lot, others don't need as much.
Leo

Use prime till it starts then switch to on.
Use the enrichener till it starts then as it warms up push the enrichener back in a bit. It may take some practice to get it figured out just how to operate the enrichener.
Some need it a lot, others don't need as much.
Leo

mine lets you know when she doesn't need it by revving a little

Finally got the bike started!
Turns out the guy who rebuilt it before me wired the coils the wrong way round so big shout out to Scoutnaround!
Only ran it set on prime so far so just need to put the vacuum pipe back on. Runs great but after idling for five mins the revs climb to about 4000.
Thanks everyone for help and advice, this a great forum with really knowledgeable people!
Will post on progress and ironing out gremlins but at least now Ive got a s##t eatin grin!
Once again thanks to you fonts of knowledge1

Back