Hornix cafe racer

So....
Never heard of it again.

sorry to hear that Hornix

I read your blogspot but couldn't find the pictures of the adjustment.

it was just a weld on piece and quite crude and I had to make a longer joining piece between the carbs. The latest is to use Suzuki gs450 carbs as they fit right on :D
Also Drewps: I saw that you had the idea of using an oilcooler. Did you leave that thought?

didn't fit the oil cooler but manage to snag the how to off the xs400.net site. its too big to attach on here PM me with your email and I'll send it :wink2:

Beautifull weather today so time for a picture:)

I mounted the muffler that came with the 2-in-1 header set (brand is JAMA (Dutch)).
It's road legal so the sound is not that loud. Maybe some day I will open it up and look for some more dB's:D
I like the look of it, it points a little upwards:bike:

ah cool im in den haag

Let me know if you ever wanna do a ride or if you need anything :)

The rims are made of aluminium and were already polished. Some Belgom every few months is enough to keep them shiney :bike:

Sweet they look great, is alloy going to be a lot lighter than the steel rims. Any pros/cons to either you thought about before deciding to go with alloy? I like the idea of chromed steel for cosmetic reasons but alloy should be much lighter for practical reasons!

It was a simple choise for me: A friend of mine had this pair of new rims and he wasn't going to use them. I've no experience with steel rims but alloy should give some quicker steering I suppose? By the way, how are these rims called in the US? Here in Holland we call them "hoogschouder velgen", literaly translated it is high shoulder rims:)

The bike wasn't running so great anymore the latest months and at high revvs it felt a bit weak. I thought that the (imitation) K&N's neede some attention. So I ordered an cleaning and re-oiling kit. When I took off the filters I noticed that one of them had a small rupture in the flange. Too bad. Time for the real deal I thought, but man...here in the Netherlands those single pods cost a lot of money. In a forum search I read about the Two Barrel K&N named RU-2970. Loved the optics instandly. I ordered one for €47,50 and that's even cheaper than one single pod. Yesterday I "tried" to mount it.
I think it looks awsome:thumbsup:

Unfortunately I had not enough room between the carbs and the battery, even with my reduced batterybox. I still have the huge (original) seize battery because my bike is electric start only (removed the kickstart because of the rearsets). So, I took off my saddle and removed the battery. Still no room...:mad: Then I noticed that my rectifier was hanging loose. It broke of the batterybox due to the vibrations.

I had a :wtf: moment.

It took me a minute to decide that the whole electrics-under-the-sadle were going to be re-organised. It is necessary for future simple carb removement without having to dismantle half the bike. The battery is the biggest pain in the butt. After some googling I found a nice battery called Motobatt (type MB12U) which contains gel instead of water so you can mount it anyway you want. Several members of the Dutch Motor-Forum have them and they are all satified with them. It has 4 mounting point so I can mount it as I like:thumbsup:

Another thing I read is that those AMG batteries require a steady charging current. And since I'm still running my bike with that huge mechanical regulator, I thought it was a good idea to look for a replacement. A smaller unit would make it easier to find a place for the fusebox, rectifier, regulator, solenoid and the Newtronics CDI. At the German site XS400.net I read a story about this subject. It explained the difference between the old mechanical regulator and the >79 electric regulator. And that it isn't a direct swab. They are interchangable but it needs some rewiring.
http://xs400.net/wb/pages/technik-f...er-xs250-xs360-und-xs400-alle-ohc-modelle.php
In the pdf I read about a small unit called the "spannungsregler USB". It is a very tiny unit (smaller than a usb stick) and it is desgined to replace the big machanical units on the early Yamaha XS650's. And since the 650 regulators seamed to have the same partnumber as the old 400 ones it would be a direct swab. It is sold by http://www.twins-inn.de/twins-inn/start.htm ,it costs €29,50 and looks like this:

I will search some more to maybe find a 400 owner who did the swab.
A Britsh manufacturer called Electrex produces a combi-unti so you have a rectifier and regulator in one but they are out of stock. I will also look at this option, maybe it is sold somewere else.
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR38.html

So currently my bike looks like this:

I'm going to shop for some metal to create a new big mounting plate under the saddle and a battery box. :thumbsup:

I have two of these batteries from Motobatt (for my R1 and XS) and both work fine...and the price is also great

Last edited:
With the stock air filters/plastic tubes gone there is definitely enough room to mount a battery sideways instead of length-wise. I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Back