How do you Repair white metal of Carb

jfr1800

JFR
Reaction score
While taking the Mikuni BS34 carbs apart for cleaning I broke the little goal post that the pin for the carb float goes through. Does anyone know if there is any way to reattach the piece or is time to search for a new carb.

thanks
JFR

I'm not saying jb weld wouldn't work but has anybody here actually used jb weld for that before. I would just be worried it wouldn't stand up to gas for a long period of time.

You could have it built up by a welder. Wouldn't be a hard thing to do. but if jb stands up to gas no reason you couldn't try that aswell.

Shaun

Oh I almost missed that white metal part. I thought the carb bodies were aluminum but there is a product made by aladdin that is used for white metal repairs uses a propane torch and not a tig welder.

Many years ago I called them and they sent me a variety pack for free with a couple different rods for different uses.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun for the suggestion. It is a small part so welding may be a bit hard to do. I looked a JB Weld web site and it says it will stand up to the gas evironment. I'll post on the results.

JFR

I've read of people fixing the posts by carefully drilling small holes as anchors in the bottoms of the posts and where they attach. This acts to provide support for the JB weld to hold on to. Make sure not to drill through the bowl. lha

I have done this exact repair with JB Weld (building a post for a snapped support for float pin) on a KZ400 Kawasaki and it's still working perfectly years later.

Another testimonial on JB weld,I used it on fixing the stem that comes out of the petcock to the fuel spout last year and its still holding.I have also used it on fixing 2 leaking gas tanks and still holding.The durafix aluminum rods I want to try.

QuickSteel is a great product too. Inpervious to chemicals, forms as a putty and ready to go in 30 minutes. I actually patched a dime size hole in my gas tank with it before sealing my tank works great!

Back