how many spacers are on the rear axel?

Chez-E

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
hey guys!
i was wondering if there is more that 1 spacer on the rear axel? i got my bike from a buddy who had been "storing" it behind his garage for many years. it moved around a few times and lost some parts along the way. long story short i talked him into giving it to me and have started to rebuild and modify it. the rear tire has a spacer on the right side but no spacer on the left side. and the tire is chewed up on the left side as the chain was rubbing on it. there is no more space to put another spacer but the spacer i have doesn't look original. soo... can you guys help me out?

There is one on the right that goes against the drum cover and one in the left that goes inside the oil seal, against the inner race of the bearing and it has the dust cover around it.

usually two on the left, one you can see, and the other fits inside the bearing and usually gets thrown away when replacing wheel bearings.

have a look at www.cnsml.com and there are parts diagrams there.

ok. so i have 1 spacer on the right side and a dust cover on the left. i tried to view the link you sent me drewpy but i can't read anything on the page. i searched around some more and found a diagram on bikebandit. it looks like i have all the right parts (rusty but the right ones) but the tire is chewed up and the chain is painfully close. maybe the wrong tire? too wide? its a 90 16T K112. uhg... i think i will buy new spacers and bearings since its already apart (anyone know where i can get good cheap wheel parts?) but this wont change the spacing of the sprocket...

Back