How-to:Do a knee dent tank ..version 2.0

skillzman1

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
So I've been away far too long...60+ hr work weeks suck10 months outa the year.
Anyhow....been thinking about another option for kne dent style tanks.

The other style/write up works fine except you will lose a bit of volume...and its not practical for square tanks like the older XS400's have.
Mainly the reason I dreamed this up was.....my bike is an '81....and I bought a tank and wheels setup from a '77 400d ...which took some fabrication for tank mounting...yet when its done is going to look like a cafe'd stock XS400 D.....cant have that....must customize and make my own.

So heres the start of the write up....bear with me...this is going to take some time to complete due to work schedule.

This is the square older style tank....my idea is to glue foam rubber pads with the design to the outside of the tank.Then fiberglass over the top of it with fiberglass cloth and resin and finish off with the necessary body work and paint.
Step 1- I sanded the area for the work down with 80 grit paper.This is to create 'tooth' for the adhesion of the glue at first,but also for the resin and 'glass work to follow.

Step 2 - Use a good wax/grease remover to clean the adhesion area.

Step 3 -I used 1/2" foam rubber padding I bought from Harbor Freight...the stuff you use for standing on top of a cement floor for comfort...comes in a package with 4 pieces 2'x2'...sells for like $10...and was intended to be used as my seat padding...but I haven't made it that far yet......Anyhow...make a paper template/pattern for the design you would like.
Then transfer it to the pads and cut it out with a good sharp razor blade.

Step 4 -test position it to the tank....remember when making the pattern that you will want to cut it back...or shorter than the edges of the tank you are modding.What I mean by this is, you will want the top of the finished tank to be flat.Therefore you have to allow room for the 'build up' of fiberglass/resin/body filler.So calculate for this when you cut,you need the layers of glass/resin to be lower than the metal surfaces initially,so that lees body work will be necessary later.
Basically,as you look at the outline of the tank,you want the pads to be 'inside' the outline.The padding is just a filler/mold to hold the fiberglass later.It doesn't have to be exact/perfect at this point.

Step 5 - Spray an even coat of adhesive on both mating surfaces...one on the tank..one on the rubber/foam...let it start to tack up for a minute or so...then carefully put them together.This is kind of a 'one try to get it right' type of thing...once th adhesive starts to tack...it doesn't slide around ...so keep this in mind when you 'stick' them together.Press it firmly down all the way around...tape the edges down if necessary.

Heres a few pics of where we are at this stage, more to come later.

SANY0055.jpg

SANY0052.jpg

SANY0053.jpg

SANY0054.jpg

I think it is a great idea. Are you worried about the heat from the fiberglass deforming the foam? I have no idea what I am saying because I have never played with fiberglass. I know surfboards are shaped with foam then 'glassed, but curious to know if rubber has different properties which would respond differently to the heat. Maybe Fiberglass is like deep frying, it makes everything better.

well ...update...this will work...however...I passed the glassing task off to a buddy,and it got pretty messed up.
too much resin,poorly applied,etc,..
the theory works,and its a matter of the associated bodywork and skills necessary to due the deal.
I ended up cutting and chiseling the stuff off yesterday...sticking with a stock '77 tank for now.
If I decide to do this again I will do the glass work myself to ensure the finish that I want.

Hi Skillzman
This is exactly what I was dreaming about.

Did you ever take up the project again ? I haven't found a new thread telling about it, so if - please give me a clue where to find.

No..decided to stick with a stock tank for now...the fiberglass overlay got really screwed up......mis communication of what I wanted done...and I had to remove all the resin.etc,..it will work in theory and is a matter of patiently laying the fiberglass on and not getting crazy with too much resin.

Okay. Think I will try out. Many mistakes can be fixed with the filler :)

But do not have skills, that will do for a How-to...... Perhaps a How-not-to could be usefull to others ? :)

Hi Skillzman
Still love your idea - but my try out didn't succed either :(

I couldn't get the meeting between the glasfiber and the tank on top of the tanks side look good or just look a like on both sides. I wanted the "flat" top of the tank to continue its curve out on the applied side. Since I couldn't let the gals fiber continue on top of the tank, it had to connect on a very thin line..... that made it difficult.

After working with filler many times, I gave up. It looked like sh..

Perhaps I should have led the glasfiber be glued on a larger area, and then fill up with filler, until it aligned with the top of the tank.

I still believe in Your idea, and hope someone else, who has better skills than mine (doesn't take much) will try out.

Back