i dont want a tach...

leedutcher

xsive to the bone!!!
Reaction score
im trying to clean up the front end of the bike and was wondering how to remove the tach cable. i followed it down to the top of the head on the right (if you are sitting on the bike, left if you are facing it) and all i see is a phillips screw. is that what i have to loosen to remove the cable or is there more to it. and after i remove it. will there be oil squirting out og the hole after?

Yes that screw protrudes into a ridge on the end of the tach cable. It works sortof like a set screw. As for oil squirting out of the hole after im not sure i have never tried it. I would think you would want to plug the hole up with something anyhow even if it didnt just to protect from dirt and other stuff from getting in there

thats what i assumed so now i guess ill see what happens after i get it running (hopfully soon). need somthing that getter better mpg then the xs11. lol. kerby is a look good, sound fast, saves me money kind of scoot.

I think you will find it a lot of fun to ride. I started riding on my uncles bikes that were much larger and had full fairings and there is just something nice about hopping onto the little 400 and taking off. Just the bare essentials and nothing more!

yea i love my 11 but just want somthing i can go to minnisota and back without filling up every 60 miles....lol. i hade a gs500 for my first bike and loved it but sold it to get a cbr 900rr and ended up sellthat after about 6 months due to i was having a baby( bought a crib with the money sold it for 600 looked good naked) with the left over money i bout the 11 which was in pieces for 165. im just getting the jitter because im basicly done rewireing ( just need a battery and just need a little wire hiding and stuff)and my tank back from the welder. and vroom vroom

Haha well good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

My 80 xs400 special is the first bike i have owned i bought it for $600 in running condition and couldnt have been happier. Im hoping by spring to have bought another bike i have been on the lookout for a bmw k75s. Both of my uncles are big into riding and go me into it and they have always riden bmw's and that is what i started riding on. I have to say for a cheap old bike the 400 has done nothing but impress me so far lol

to bad here in iowa there is no sweet snake runs like there is on the coast. i wouldnt mind an old bmw with an airhead motor. be sweet but i think my next bike will be a honda sl350, honda vt500, or if im lucky finda a motto guzzi somwhere that needs resto. i got pics but no good ones here what im dealing with..

07-09-11_1801.jpg

here is where i am at

done with most of the wireing just buttinging everything up

2011-08-27230724.jpg

2011-08-27230739.jpg

2011-08-27230937.jpg

We are very luck here in NY especially. Some very nice riding. This weekend there is a bmw rally in watkins glen that i go to every year you want to talk about some awesome riding!

I have always liked moto guzzi's as well i think it would be neat to pick one up someday.

As for your project it looks like your making some good progress there is that the wiring diagram hanging off of the side?

k drewpy i guess thats going to be the answer (or jbweld and grind)....unless i keep the tach cable and find a troll doll somewhere and drill a hole in its ass and shive the tack cable up there... so when it revs she spins. that would be epic!!!!!!! lol maybe i could rought something like a hypno dial inside the headlight bucket to it can spin...lol be cool. idk to early to be thinky like this. off to work...

I run no tach on both of my bikes. It won't spit oil outta there. A 7/8 handlebar end plug fills it perfectly though too!

Back