I feel petcock issue

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was kinda warm today here 39 degrees! Anyway warm enough to go for a ride, I noticed that I had to have the idle screw turned all the way on to keep the bike running and even then I was only at like 900rpm,when riding the bike would die and barley accelerate, so I flipped the petcock to PRI and the idle shot up past 3k,i turned it down to 1500 and the bike ran like a champ, I know if the switch is set to run it upens via vacuum pressure, so what gives? Can I just run around on PRI? I read that doing so will flood everything but won't the float valves prevent that? I am going to fix the issue I'm just curious if in the mean time I can run on PRI.

If your float needle valve is working properly it shouldn't be a problem. To be safe I would turn the petcock to the on position when the engine is shut off. I just replaced my tank with a sportster style tank with a free flowing petcock witch is just the same as running a stock one on PRI.

Check the vacuum hose going to the petcock from the carb boot for cracks or leaks.

If you leave the petcock on prime you better check your oil before every start. I recently lost a snowblower engine due to flooding while the machine was off; it didn't have a manual/vacuum shutoff and it randomly flooded for the first time while it was sitting.

Back