I think I screwed up big time. Help!!

Superdog25

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Like a total noob, I think I really messed up. my oil drain bolt was super stripped so I went online and looked to see if there was another drain bolt, I found a guy on line and he said there was so I drained it, or so I thought. i added two quarts of oil and started it up, and all of a sudden white smoke poured out of the right exhaust and came out of the air filter. I quickly shut it off and went to the store and got a bolt stirp set and got the drain bolt off. About 3 1/2 of oil drained out. I got all the right bolts now and a new oil filter and started it back up. Smoke is still coming out and if I give it gas, it backfires a little bit. How screwed am I? Help!!:(

At the worst you may have blown a couple seals far as I can tell. Most of the time when an engine is over filled they start to leak from areas above oil sump. On most small engines that would be the crank case breather. In our case if there is no modifications to the intake system your crank breather connects directly into the intake boots between the carbs & Air filters. You may have the carbs & air filters loaded with Rotella or what ever oil you're using. Make sure there's no oil in your intake boots between the filter's & carbs. Also Change Those Plugs

Back