Is it just me or does this look like an odd pilot jet

Vlad

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this isn't what my pilot jets are suppose to look like. They look a lot like main jets to me. Anyone else?

full

It isn't a pilot jet; it looks like a small round main type which is used as a pilot air jet in these here carbs.

Yup; that's the pilot jet you just linked above.

What you have there is the pilot AIR jet. It is confusing because on the bs34s they use a small round main jet AS a pilot AIR jet. :) The terms are also a bit, well, silly. It goes here:

full

Bottom left, and it should be a 170 (printed on the face).

BS34s are pretty sweet because our pilot AIR jets are removable. If you're jetting you want to INCREASE your pilot jet for richer idle or you can decrease your pilot AIR jet to get a richer idle. It is probably safe to ignore the pilot AIR jet and simply get a larger pilot jet. From other users on here 1 size up usually works; I have 1 and 2 sizes up on order right now.

Just to confirm, yes, the one in the bowl (42.5) is the one you increase; if you increased the one on the face you'd be making your mixture leaner.

ok I got you, this is making sense now. Only thing now is that the largest I can find anywhere is 160. What I've had in since I've had the bike is a 155. The only reason I've even really considering changing it out is because my engine ate the one on the left side.

If you replace the 170s with 160s you souldn't have a problem; you'll be a tad richer at idle (compared to stock 170, but a fraction leaner than your previous 155s) and low rpms; this kind of small variation can easily be tuned out with the idle air mixture screws. I think the general consensus is that these bikes run on the leaner side in stock form anyway. I also have the 160s on order myself, but bikebandit actually has some in other oddball sizes. The only downside is that bikebandit forces you to buy jets in 4 packs.

Back