Is my bike really a 1980 XS400S?

Rando

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
is there somewhere on my bike where I can definitively determine the year and model? I bought the bike five years ago. My registration says it's a 1980 XS400S, and i believe everything on the bike is original stock. When i ordered carb kits based on the year of the bike, the parts didn't fit. When I search on-line, the kit that contains the parts resembling the ones in my carbs are listed as fitting 1977-79 models.

Any advice is appreciated.

Rando

Post a pic of the bike some we can see it:wink2: If it is an 80 the carb parts from the 77-79 xs400 models won't work.

The fact that the state calls it that has more to do with the kind of day the BMV person was haing back in '80 when she entered the info than your actual model.

My guess is an XS400SG

'79 was the last year of points ignition, brass carb floats and open and obvious idle mixture screws.

In '80, the ignitions went electronic, the floats were plastic and the idle mixture screws were a different design and under a plug.

[edit]
Come to think of it, you could have a 1979 that was sold new in 1980. That happens more often with motorcycles. Some states only pay attention to the date the bike is sold new and not the manufacturer's model year.

Also, it's a distinct possibility that someone swapped out the entire carb set with one from an older bike some time in the last 35 years.

Pics will solve this.

Last edited:
Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• DSCN4538.JPG
    DSCN4538.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 492
  • DSCN4892.JPG
    DSCN4892.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 521
".....In '80, the ignitions went electronic, the floats were plastic and the idle mixture screws were a different design and under a plug."

I thought I'd posted a reply to this, but I have electronic ignition and plastic floats.

Looks like a 1979 XS400F from the pics (rear disk brake, particularly), but the electronic ignition and plastic floats sound like 1980. Maybe the Canadian bikes were a bit different.

Wow i can't believe its been a year since i first posted this. I resolved/post-poned my carb issues by scavaging from another carb set, but now have another issue and need to know the exact year (ignition system - only firing on one side. Swapped coils, wires, plugs and same thing so was thinking 'cdi' but i don't know where to find it). The number stamped on the frame is 2L0 071303.

Wow i can't believe its been a year since i first posted this. I resolved/post-poned my carb issues by scavaging from another carb set, but now have another issue and need to know the exact year (ignition system - only firing on one side. Swapped coils, wires, plugs and same thing so was thinking 'cdi' but i don't know where to find it). The number stamped on the frame is 2L0 071303.

Your bike should have points in it so I would check them. Make sure the coils are 4 ohm. They should be a peach color. The later 3 ohm ones are black. I think the 78-E vin numbers start with a 0 or a 2. Your neck should have a build date on it. 77 is a 78 and 78 is a 79.

Buzzpoint"Interesting... I have an 81 special... But brass floats and open idle air screws... Must have been changed at some point in its life. "
Not neccesarily my 81 is the same way its all original except the exhaust and paint.:wink2:

Back