It's not an XS but I had to show someone this.

Forcefed

MADMIKE
Reaction score
20170315_205528.jpeg
20170315_205528.jpeg
20170315_205504.jpeg

1972 suzuki gt380 price was 240.00 . Tank has acid in it right now. 5002 original miles. Have not found a thing that does not function properly.

Cool find. Did it come with any paper work?
Yes hope it has it's papers as NY is not an easy state to get a new title for! But if you are buying it from the person who had the title but has lost it I believe they can request one to be reprinted with out too much trouble.

How about someone who own's a Suzuki GT 750, besides the the XS 400? Would he need to be taken beyond the city wall's and stoned?
BTW that GT 380, looks like it just needs a good cleaning, and it should then be fit to hit the road, again?

Merlin

it has not been on the road in 30years. In N.Y. as long as it has been off road for ten years you can take it to the sheriffs and have the vin run. As long as it comes back clean they will issue you paperwork. I do it all the time. And yes. a nice hot bath with two new tires and I will be riding this old smoker. The turbo xs is taking more time than expected.

How about someone who own's a Suzuki GT 750, besides the the XS 400? Would he need to be taken beyond the city wall's and stoned?
BTW that GT 380, looks like it just needs a good cleaning, and it should then be fit to hit the road, again?

Merlin
....Like religion,you can have it just keep it for yourself;)

When I tried to get a 1980 xs650 that had been off the road for 25 yrs they told me I needed to contact the last owner of the bike to get it titled in my name. I was able to find him and take care of it. If the bike was made in 1972 or before you can file for a lost title without much issues. This was about 8 yrs ago so maybe the laws have changed.

Friend of mine picked one up a while back, not sure if he's done anything with yet though. Sounds like ya scored a nice one at an excellent price too.

When I tried to get a 1980 xs650 that had been off the road for 25 yrs they told me I needed to contact the last owner of the bike to get it titled in my name. I was able to find him and take care of it. If the bike was made in 1972 or before you can file for a lost title without much issues. This was about 8 yrs ago so maybe the laws have changed.
That is also what I was told when I tried to get a title for a 1977 XS400. Problem is I had the guys name and the county Sheriff confirmed that was the last person to license the bike, but he has moved and I have not been able to find a current address for him. So this bike just sits out in the barn, thinking someday I may resort to offering it up for parts. I did have it running once after cleaning the carbs.

I was told one time that if I bought some special insurance there was a way to get the title after a period of time but seems like the cost at that time was in the neighborhood of $300-$400 dollars. Now if the bike was in perfect condition and had a resale value of $2,000 I might be tempted. But I can't see investing that much into a 1977 XS400 in only fair to average condition for it's age. Especially one I don't have a guaranty that something may be wrong that I have not seen yet.

i'll post pics of what they give me. Last summer I got registration for around ten different machines with no paperwork.

I know a lot of people do the vermont title thing but like I said, when I tried 8 yrs ago the sheriff department told me " we do not and can not look at a bike for you unless it's stolen and was yours to begin with". They where quite nasty about it. The DMV was just about as nice. Maybe things have changed.... I still would never buy a bike that I would intend to put on the road without it having a clear NYS title or registration.

i'll post pics of what they give me. Last summer I got registration for around ten different machines with no paperwork.

Would love to see what they give you.
I always thought something like a statue of limitations for titles.

Just checked and in NY for Manslaughter 1st & 2nd degrees there is a five year limit! Come on, is trying to put a 39 year old Yamaha on the road without the original title a bigger crime than 1st degree manslaughter? Seems as long as it has not been reported as stolen or registered in say the last five years they should figure it is not going to be reported stolen.

I guess if you go and fill out a lost title form and use your own name as the last registered owner they would give you one. If the bike is out of the system they would have no idea who owns it.

After I complete them and have my fun with them. Everything is for sale. Shop and a salvage yard yes. Kind of a family thing. My father also does some pretty crazy work with powder and high temp barrier coatings. Got the old Suzuki running. Trying to get the vid from my phone to this laptop is something else.

Back