Just bought a 78' XS-400 need help getting it running!

Juju400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, folks. I'm new to XS-400.com. I recently bought my first bike, 78' XS-400, and I'm trying to get it running. The bike is in good shape however, there are a few things I have to do to get it running. I have clean the carbs, change the battery, change the spark plugs, install a front brake, change the oil, get a gas tank lock, new seat, new mirrors, and tags! I take that back, the bike isn't in good condition! Anyway, I'm just looking for any help I can get so if anyone has any, feel free to answer this post. Thanks in advance!

- Juju:thumbsup:

Are you having trouble starting it? Is it electric or kick-only? Either way, what is it doing when you hit the button or kick it over? Sounds like you've got the basic stuff out of the way, although you may want to replace the spark wires as well. Even if they're good if you put new ones on you know when they were done.

Thanks for the reply. It has both an electric start and a kick start. I just ran into a bunch of problems, bro. First off, I found out the key I got for it was fake and I went to put in the gas tank, it broke. Now I have to get a new gas tank lock and a new ignition cylinder. Also, I went to change the spark plugs and they both were so corroded that they broke off into the cylinder heads. I need help.

Well, you can find gas cap/ignition switch/key sets on eBay fairly easily. If all you want to do is try starting it, you can open the headlight bucket to get at the wiring harness, unplug the ignition switch, and jump the red and blue wires. You can take the switch assembly to a locksmith and get a new key made, I did. Alternately, if you're sure you'll get a new ignition, you can jimmy the switch with a screwdriver.

Are the broken sparks stuck in the head? Or did you get them out? I've never had to extract a broken spark plug before but I'm sure there's a guide on YouTube or so.

Was there gas in the tank when you got it? If so, dump it (I poured the old stuff that came in my bike into my indestructible Volvo) and put fresh premium in. If you can get the broken key out of the lock you can jimmy the tank open with a screwdriver. The bike doesn't need premium per se but it will help flush the system and will also be kinder to old rubber components. Put an in-line fuel filter in the fuel line below the petcock while you're at it.

Thanks a lot bro. So I got the key out the gas tank now I have to replace the ignition cylinder. The head of the spark plugs broke off leaving the screw part stuck in the cylinder head. I'll try and loosen them with some penetrating oil. I'm able to rotate them using a screwdriver, however, I can't take them out. I'll post a pic to show you what I mean. Thanks for the help in advance. I really appreciate it.

Back