Kickstart installation

keith

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello again guys,
With your help I've cured my pressure plate/clutch problems. (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9907&highlight=clutch)
Now a new problem.....

How do I properly install the kickstart spindle and spring? In my curiosity (or foolishness) I removed it to see how it works. My first installation resulted in a complete binding and a non-working kickstart the second installation gave me a kickstart that engages and will start the engine but does not spring back to the 12 O' clock position, it just dangles at the 6.
I've seen many post on breaking the metal in the crankcase. I would like to avoid that.....

Bonus question!
Best place to get a cheap petcock rebuild kit? Mine just started leaking :banghead:

Slide the kick start shaft in don't forget the little washer that goes on the end of the shaft. There's a metal tab that's solid on the shaft. that points to the rear of the motor and sits on a little ledge. There's also a long metal loop that can be spun. that points downward and slide the whole assembly in. then pull the hook end of the spring up (clockwise) and hook it on the ledge that is above the starter shaft.then before you put the side cover on spin the shaft and make sure the starter gear engages and that the shaft springs back. O and you can get petcock rebuild kits on ebay for 25. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

also have to set the pre-load for the spring. I had the same problem. manual (downloadable on this site) says to wind up and have the tang on the spring catch on that little piece on the case. it SHOULD NOT just go right on. if your fighting it and your fingers hurt your going in the right direction

What ever you do, don't do what I did, I tested the kickstart with out the side cover on, and then the next gut droping feeling was, the Kick start journal snapping. Good luck

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input!
I still haven't got it. Under stand how the assembly fits in now, however once the assemble is in place and I pull the spring tang back an inch or so there's not enough spring power to return the kickstarter. Which means I'm really not getting it or I have to pull that darn spring clockwise a full rotation+. I've tried several times resulting In first-blood.

Do I need to man up and tension that spring a full rotation or is something else going on here?

Again thank you guys for the replies, it helps ALOT!

Try hitting it with your purse?

Haha. Yeah I spun mine around like the full rotation so the tang will catch on the case, and the tension will keep it there just try putting it in like 4 different ways and you'll figure out the right one.

Ha! I didn't follow through with the purse technique, but i did however, find the problem. I was using the silicone form-a-gasket stuff which means the 1-2mm of clearance the paper gasket provided was no longer there. This meant the kickstarter shaft rubbed the inside of the case cover and the spring wasn't strong enough to overcome this friction. I ordered the right gasket, tightened the case up and BOOM! no problems.

I just installed this successfully after 20 tries.

I had the tab on the end of the shaft pointing down, as well as the metal clip.
In this position the spring only had to be wound 180 degrees.
Putting the metal tab to the left didn't work for me.

What ever you do, don't do what I did, I tested the kickstart with out the side cover on, and then the next gut droping feeling was, the Kick start journal snapping. Good luck

Lmao I just did that not even 20 minutes ago and now have a wonderful crack on it then looked up how to fix it and found my way here. We're you able to fix it at all and of so then how :banghead:

Posted via Mobile

Start looking for some cases:doh:

It's just cracked not fully broken could I braze it back up

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 542
It looks like it will hold if you just never use the kick start. Otherwise you are in it for a donor motor and a gasket kit. Absolutely don't try using the kick starter if you decide to button it back up. If you break that piece loose is a safety hazard and potentially deadly fir your motor

Posted via Mobile

what i did was used a pair of needle nose plier to check how stirdy it was and it broke off lmao so i took it out and removeed the rubber kick sstart grommet and its getting a aluminum plat welded over it i also am buying another engine and im going to rebuild it as a back up

Back