Leaking Seals

Ace4569

Original XS400 Chick
Reaction score
I finally found an XS 400 and I want it. there are jsut a few bugs. Here is the original post http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2342037716.html My main concern is the leaking seals. Is this a pretty easy fix? Or does that mean I need an engine overhaul. I have been looking everywhere in my state (Ohio) for an XS that runs and has a title so I find one and it has a bunch of little problems and then the seals worry me. I am not mechanically inclined at all...AT ALL...so I just want to know what I'm getting into

Opinions? :shrug:

The only thing that would scare me is he says the mileage at 20K is not correct per the title. You really don't know how many miles are on it. Is there any way to check the compression before you buy it?

Hi Ace,
Since you are not mechanically inclined I would suggest you pass this bike by. Unless:
You know someone who is mechanically inclined and would enjoy working on the bike.
Or, you want to learn to work on it yourself and have the space to do it.

IMO with any of these older bikes you're going to have to have some sort of work done to it, either to get it running right, or somewhere down the road.

Another options if you want a small bike would be to expand your search to the other brands.

Harvey

It depends where the seals that you are talking about are located. If they are fork seals,no problem.If they are in a location where they are leaking oil and you have to take apart the motor,then for a newbie,might be more than you want to take on.On the other hand,If you are a quick learner,maybe this would be a good place to start.Take a course at the local community college on small engine repair.Just a thought,not everybody started at 10yrs old on lawnmowers,then dirt bikes,then all kinds of cars and boats,motorcycles.Don't get discouraged,maybe get a small bike that's running,and GET A MANUAL,then do all the maintenance.Then you'll be comfortable working on a bike like these.Good luck-----lha:bike:

After reading the post,I'd buy it[good price for running]and download the manual on this site[I put it on cd-rom],and when you have a problem,put it on a thread here,and one of the guys here will be glad to walk you through,along with maybe a little good natured ribbing.good luck. lha

My honest opinion.....I would be careful with it. For one, the guy seems to not know a lot about bikes....The XS is definitely NOT a "v-twin"!! haha It sounds to me that the bike would probably just need a gasket set, when it come to the "seals" situation.

I say as long as the bike runs, offer him $300 and walk away stealing it!

Do you at least have a place to work on a bike and a decent set of tools? I would also talk him down if you're considering buying it. Since you say you have no mechanical inclination I am assuming you don't have many tools. Just keep in mind that the cost of tools can be a decent investment in and of itself.

The difficulty is going to come down to which gaskets are bad. If the gaskets on the side covers or oil drain/filter cover are bad the job will be trivial. If certain other gaskets are bad you may need to pull the motor.

Thanks guys I'm going to see the bike later tonight. I'll try to get him to come down on it. I'm up for learning I actually really want to learn some mechanics so I guess I'm really glad I'm part of this site with all the people that can do things like rip apart a motor

He sold the bike while I was on my way to get it. So forget that. I'm still looking for another XS I really don't want to move to another brand but I'm afraid that is what I might have to do t(>.<)t F#$%

He sold the bike while I was on my way to get it. So forget that. I'm still looking for another XS I really don't want to move to another brand but I'm afraid that is what I might have to do t(>.<)t F#$%

dunno how far away it was for you, but you got screwed :mad:

Yeah it was like 15 minutes away but the asshat told me he wouldn't be ready to see me until 6 and then had the bike sold at 4:30 I was ready to buy and everything so if anyone sees anything on craigslist in ohio let me know >.<

Back